5 Best Dog Car Harnesses
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
If you have an elderly, injured or a dog with hind end weakness, the right car lift harness will make travel so much easier. A lifting harness will give your dog a sense of independence while allowing him to move freely, but will also relieve the stress on your back as you assist him.
Car lift harnesses can provide assistance to physically disabled dogs as well. Some harnesses are designed much like a sling and can be used to help your dog over things and up stairs. Many are multi-purpose and allow you to take your dog for walks, as well as give a lift when needed.
With so many types of harnesses available, with different purposes, how do you find the right car lift harness for your dog? Here is a breakdown of harnesses for lifting and what they are best for.
Compare Best Car Lift Dog Harness
1. Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Crash Tested Smart Car Dog Harness
BEST FOR DURABILITY
2. Chai's Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness
BEST FOR LARGE DOGS
3. HDP Big Dog No Pull Dog Harness
BEST FOR LIMITED MOBILITY
4. Walkin' Lift Combo Rear Dog Harness for Mobility
BEST FOR ELDERLY DOGS
5. Outward Hound PupBoost Lift Harness
Crash tested for safe car rides
3M reflective material
No choke design
Safely gives pets & pet parents the lift they need.
Large padded torso band for added comfort and surface area for lifting.
Control handle for easily assisting dogs
Seat belt handle attachment
Easy snap buckles
Easily and gently support your pets mobility.
Adjustable hook and loop closures fits medium to large dogs.
High price range
Mid price range
Low price range
High price range
Low price range
Steel nesting buckles
Chest o-ring for no pulling
Made of high quality nylon webbing
Designed to assist dogs that need help getting around or in and out of cars.
How We Tested:
- We purchased 5 of the Best Car Lift Dog Harnesses
- We spent a few hours testing these harnesses
- These products were purchased with our own money, not in exchange for a favorable review
- Safety – A crash-tested harness, that restrains your dog in the car in case of a sudden stop or impact, is the safest kind. Some attach easily to your car’s seat belt system, and are also a walking harness.
- Durability –There are many durable materials used in the construction of a dog harnesses, but rip-stop nylon, canvas and denim are some of the more durable.
- Material – Harnesses are made from leather, plastic, nylon, and other types of fabric. If your dog tends to get wet while on walks, consider something that dries quick. If your dog chews then you will need a sturdy harness.
- Adjustments- A harness should have many points of adjustment, in order to fit dogs of all shapes and sizes. A harness with at least 4 adjustment points is ideal to find your dogs perfect fit.
- Comfort – Harnesses should be made from comfortable materials to prevent chaffing. Soft mesh and plush fabrics can help provide adequate comfort around nylon, if well designed.
- Cost – A good harness is a small investment. There are many quality harnesses at reasonable prices depending on your needs.
- Style – There are many harness styles and the best choice will depend on your dog’s personality and size. Some styles are no-pull, standard, step through, dual strap, etc.
- Visibility – If you walk your dog in low light conditions or hike wooded areas, you may want a high-visibility harness. Some include reflective material or tiny LED lights to make sure your dog can be seen.
- LED – An LED dog harness is usually constructed from lightweight materials, and comes with a variety of useful features, such as adjustable light modes, reflective strips, and rechargeable batteries for hours of use.
- Back Clip – Back-clip harnesses attach on top of a dog’s back or shoulders. These are best for smaller, calm or well trained dogs.
- Front Clip – Front-clip harnesses have a leash attachment on the chest. This gives the owner more control and stops the dog from pulling. These are best for larger dogs or dogs that pull.
- Multi Clip– Some harnesses come with attachments on both front and back. This gives the option to use it as a front or back clip when walking your dog.
- Reflective – A reflective harness is a necessity if you walk your dog at night or in low light situations. This keeps your dog from harm and makes him easier to be seen.
- No Pull- No-pull harnesses are a simple way to discourage your dog from pulling. They usually have a front clip attachment and some have front and top for dual control. There are usually straps that cross above the dogs shoulders and behind the front legs.
- Step Through – A step-through harness means your dog puts his front legs between two loops to get into the harness. Once the dogs legs are in position, a single buckle attaches behind your dogs front legs.
The 5 Best Rated Dog Car Harnesses
Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Crash Tested Smart Car Dog Harness
- Safety: Crash tested for safe car rides
- Adjustments: Control handle for easily assisting dogs
- Price: High price range
- Style: Steel nesting buckles
- Includes seat-belt loop for car
- Chest plate reduces strain on chest and neck
- No-jingle back D-ring
- Harness is heavy
- Buckles are in awkward areas
With five adjustments points, it’s easy to get a near custom fit for any type of dog, regardless of size and proportions.
The chest pad reduces stress on the trachea and sternum while dispersing kinetic energy across the chest of the dog. This is important during those rare but dangerous impact crashes or dogs who are strong pullers. The chest pad and straps are also designed with comfort in mind, making this dog car harness a good choice as a lifting harness that can be used daily.
Chai's Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness
- Safety: 3M reflective material
- Adjustments: Seat belt handle attachment
- Style: Chest o-ring for no pulling
- Price: Mid price range
- Two leash attachment options
- Mesh padding on chest and belly
- Available in many sizes and colors
- Best for larger dogs
- Sizes may run small
It is also equipped with reflective piping interwoven into its durable nylon exterior to make sure your pup is visible when walking at night. With 4 adjustable straps, nine vibrant color options, and a wide variety of size choices you can customize this harness for your dog.
Getting your dog into the car with assistance is now easy with the attached top built-in handle. You can also buckle your dog in for road trips by slipping a seat belt through the sturdy built-in handle on top of the harness.
HDP Big Dog No Pull Dog Harness
- Safety: No choke design
- Adjustments: Easy snap buckles
- Style: Reflective strip
- Price: Low price range
- Large top handle for grip
- Extra padding
- Distributes weight evenly
- No chest ring attachment
- Bulky for smaller dogs
- Runs large
The extra wide chest padding distributes the weight throughout your dog’s chest and shoulders, which assists dogs with a comfortable walking experience. The top mounted D-ring, it gives dogs plenty freedom of motion while leaving the ultimate control to you.
Walkin' Lift Combo Rear Dog Harness for Mobility
- Safety: Safely gives pets & pet parents the lift they need.
- Adjustments: Easily and gently support your pets mobility.
- Price: High price range
- Style: Made of high quality nylon webbing
- Available in many sizes
- Great for dogs with limited mobility
- Over the head design
- Can be used as walking harness
- Sizing may not be accurate
- Maybe bulky on small dogs
The soft fleece lining and comfy mesh makes it comfortable for everyday use, and putting it on is easy by simply slipping through front legs and chest, pull up. Adjust the straps for a comfortable height to lift your pup when he needs a boost. This harness can be washed in the included mesh bag and then hung dry. It’s available in different sizes to accommodate dogs of all sizes.
Outward Hound PupBoost Lift Harness
- Safety: Large padded torso band for added comfort and surface area for lifting.
- Adjustments: Adjustable hook and loop closures fits medium to large dogs.
- Price: Low price range
- Style: Designed to assist dogs that need help getting around or in and out of cars.
- Padded to provide comfort and added support
- Designed to assist dogs in and out of cars
- Fit dogs between 50 and 90 pounds
- Best for large dogs
- Is made for lifting only
- Some dogs slide out
This harness makes lifting your dog into the car easier, while preventing strain on his legs and hips.
It is important to take proper care of your dog when getting into the car, especially if he is injured or aging. The best car lift dog harness ensures your dog freedom of motion and can support him in many ways. Aging and elderly dogs can benefit greatly with some help from a lift harness when walking and getting into a car.