Best Dog Food For Havanese
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Havanese-bred dogs make wonderful companions. They’re the perfect pet for an apartment or condo, and they are guaranteed to be your best friend for life
They are known to be very charming, energetic, and lively. On average, this dog breed can weigh between 6 and 13 pounds and can live up to 16 years.
Their social traits will always make them want to win your attention and affection.
Keep reading to learn more about your Havanese’s unique nutritional needs and to receive some tips for picking the best dog food to meet those needs
Compare Best Dog Food For Havaneses
1. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Small Bites Lamb Recipe
BEST FOR BUDGET
2. Purina Pro Plan Savor® Adult Shredded Blend Salmon & Rice Formula
BEST FOR WEIGHT LOSS
3. Merrick Classic Small Breed Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food
BEST FOR SENIORS
4. Royal Canin Health Nutrition Mini Aging 12+ Dry Dog Food
BEST FOR PUPPIES
5. Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Adult Recipe
3,645 kcal/kg or 408 kcal/cup ME
Key Considerations When Buying Dog Food For Your Havanese
Havanese needs a lot of affection, care, and attention. And one of the best ways to show this dog your love is by feeding him a diet that is nutritious, balanced, and perfect for him.
This pup will reward you with deep loyalty if you can satisfy his appetite. Therefore, you will need to consider some factors before buying a particular dog food for your canine friend.
- Antioxidants. Not only do Havanese-breed dogs have fast metabolisms, but they also have long lifespans. Feeding your dog an antioxidant-rich diet will help keep it healthy for as long as possible by boosting its immune system.
- Dry Food. Havanese dogs have small mouths, which often leads to dental problems. Dry food is preferable to wet food for small dogs because it helps clean plaque and tartar off their teeth.
- Fatty Acids. Healthy fats provide a concentrated source of energy for small breed dogs, but they also play a role in supporting healthy skin and coat as well as brain development in puppies.
- Calorie-Dense. Small-breed dogs have very fast metabolisms, which, you may be surprised to learn, means that they need more calories per pound of body weight than larger breeds. In fact, small dogs may need up to 40 calories per pound, versus 30 for an average-sized dog and 20 for a large breed.
As much as possible, we try to follow the criteria of the World Small Animal Veterinary Association when choosing the best dog foods for Great Pyrenees and other dogs.
We look for dog foods that meet the following criteria:
- AAFCO-approved foods, especially foods that have undergone food trials.
- Dog food companies that invest in nutritional research
- We prefer dog foods that have been formulated by veterinary nutritionists.
- We value good quality control.
- We value nutrition over clever marketing. It’s important to choose the food that is best for your dog, even if the ingredients don’t sound appealing to you.
We also take into consideration the warning from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration about a possible link between grain-free dog foods and dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs. The FDA’s investigation has now expanded to include exotic proteins in dog foods. You can read the latest research in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
The 5 Best Rated Dog Foods For Havanese Dogs
Havanese are a special breed of dogs known to be highly social and energetic. So, it is a great privilege to have one as a canine buddy. One of the ways you can show your love and care for this adorable pet is by feeding him a delicious and nutritious diet.
However, getting perfectly suitable dog food for this pooch can be a damn task. That is why we have taken some time to research the different cool cuisines that can satisfy their various needs.
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Small Bites Lamb Recipe
- Protein: 22% Min
- Fat: 14% Min
- Fiber: 3.5% Max
- Calories: 326 kcal/cup
- Made with pasture-red lamb and rice for digestibility
- No artificial additives or GMO ingredients
- Rich in nutrients and full of natural flavor
- Contains high-carbohydrate sweet potato and other plant ingredients
This Nutro Wholesome Essentials Small Bites Lamb Recipe is made with pasture-fed lamb and rice to ensure digestibility and quality nutrition. It is rich in nutrients and full of flavor as well, sure to be a hit with your dog.
Purina Pro Plan Savor® Adult Shredded Blend Salmon & Rice Formula
- Protein: 26% Min
- Fat: 16% Min
- Fiber: 3% Max
- Moisture– 12% Max :
- Calories: 375 kcal/cup
- Single source of premium animal protein
- Contains prebiotic fiber to promote healthy digestion
- Made in the USA
- Above average in cost
Linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid, promotes healthy skin and a shiny coat. This formula has 26 percent crude protein, 16 percent crude fat, and 3 percent crude fiber.
Merrick Classic Small Breed Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 30.0% Min
- Fat: 15.0% Min
- Fiber: 3.5% Max
- Calories: 394 kcal/cup
- Highly recommended by vets
- It is the perfect size kibble for a small breed
- It is made with quality ingredients
- Good food at reasonable price
- The packaging on the 4lb bag is not good enough
- Some extremely picky dogs may not approve
And all ingredients in this formula are locally sourced from trusted farmers. Overall, this product makes the mix a wholesome balance protein, whole grains, farm-fresh fruits, and vegetables.
In addition, the recipe is well fortified with essential vitamins and minerals to offer your Havanese complete and balanced nutrition. Also, to improve joint health and mobility, the formula contains a considerable level of glucosamine and chondroitin. Peas and brown rice are also thrown into the mix to serve as sources of digestible carbs.
Royal Canin Health Nutrition Mini Aging 12+ Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 25.0% Min
- Fat: 14.0% Min
- Fiber: 3.5% Max
- Calories: 360 kcal/cup
- Perfect for a small dog’s metabolism
- Helps a small dog maintain a healthy weight
- Enhanced palatability
- Royal Canin formulas can be confusing to buyers because they have so many
For instance, the blend contains a considerable level of phosphorus meant to keep the kidney functioning optimally. Like any other small breeds, senior Havanese needs a kibble they can eat with minimal strength.
Moreover, Royal Canin also uses its cutting edge technology in preparing this formula to minimize tartar formation in your aging pup. Also, during this advanced adulthood, your Havanese will need a diet that can keep their coat and skin shiny and beautiful.
Overall, this is fortified with adequate levels of EPA and DHA to help your senior pup achieve just that.
Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Adult Recipe
- Protein: 25% Min
- Fat: 16% Min
- Fiber: 4% Max
- Calories: 3,645 kcal/kg or 408 kcal/cup ME
- Made with deboned turkey and oatmeal
- Optimized to support ideal body weight in small breeds
- Plenty of essential fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
- The seal doesn’t seem to work well on the bag
- Some puppies may be allergic to this
It comes with all that your small young pup will need to grow properly at this development stage. For proper and healthy brain development, the mix contains an adequate level of DHA to help in that direction.
Furthermore, it is loaded with salmon oil, omega 3 and omega six fatty acids.
Also, your puppy will need a lot of energy to jump, play and grow at this life stage. Overall, this mix comes packed with ingredients that serve as sources of easily digestible carbohydrates to produce energy.
Havanese Dietary Needs
Havanese are friendly and very energetic small-breed dogs. They are also very active and lively. Therefore, their very nature will make them require healthy and nutritious diets on a daily basis. For instance, puppies and young adults will need premium-quality protein in their diet.
Also, you should feed the puppy and young adult Havanese weighing about 10 pounds, an average of 404 calories per day. A very active young adult will need to consume up to 466 calories daily to keep up with the high energy demand.
In addition, your pup’s diet should include an adequate amount of poultry and fish ingredients for a healthy lifestyle. Moreover, the omega-3 fatty acids contained in those ingredients are essential for healthy skin and a shiny coat.
Any dog can develop an allergy. We didn’t find any information to suggest that Havanese dogs are more prone to food allergies or sensitivities than other dogs, but they can occur.
If your dog has a food allergy or food sensitivity, it’s a good idea to work with your veterinarian to identify your dog’s food triggers.
In the long run, that’s usually faster and less expensive than trying to figure it out by trial and error yourself.
You and your veterinarian can put your dog on an elimination diet to figure out which ingredients are causing your dog problems. After you have identified the specific ingredients, you can select a food that should work for your dog.
Depending on the trigger ingredient(s), you might need a hypoallergenic or prescription dog food, or you may be able to buy the food you need—minus the bad ingredient—online or in a pet store.
How Much Should You Feed Your Havanese by Age?
As noted earlier, Havanese are energetic. They are lovely and lively. Also, when considering how much to feed your pup, you need to keep this fact in mind. Apart from taking note of their energy level when feeding them, you should also consider their life stages. It is often ideal that you feed your pup based on the following life stages:
- Puppy: Puppy Havanese are usually voracious eaters. They need to eat a balanced and complete diet. For instance, a puppy weighing up to 6 pounds will need to consume about 466 calories per day. Click here to read our article on the best dog food for puppies
- Adult: How much you feed an average adult Havanese depends on his age, weight, and level of activity. An adult pup weighing about 10 pounds is expected to consume an average of 404 calories on a daily basis. However, a highly active Havanese will usually consume more calories than any other small-breed dog.
- Senior: From age 8 and above, this dog breed is an old adult. And senior Havanese do not need a lot of calories. They tend to be less active at this stage, and their bones and joints become less functional. Therefore, more protein and essential vitamins will be necessary for their diets. Click here to read our article on the best dog food for senior dogs
Havanese are charming small-breed dogs that love to be social. They are highly energetic and can spend their energy winning your love and attention.
Also, there are a number of factors you will need to consider when buying dog food for your pup. Some of these factors include age, ingredients, weight, activity level, and many more. Like all other pups, they need animal-sourced protein in their diet, and that should be number one on the list.