Best Dog Food For Puggles
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
These family dogs tend to bark and howl and are very active. They also love being around children and are very curious. The internal temperature of this crossbreed is often high which makes them thirsty quickly.
They are generally known to weigh between 15 and 40 pounds. Also, shedding is normal for this crossbreed and require weekly brushing to rid them of dead or loose hair.
At A Glance Best Dog Food For Puggles To Buy:
We highly recommend looking at the comparison table we have below where we highlighted the features of each product. You’ll also find more detailed information about each product later in the article.
Compare Best Dog Food For Puggles
1. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Small Breed Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
BEST FOR ALLERGIES
2. Hill's Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Small & Mini Breed Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
BEST FOR WEIGHT LOSS
3. Eukanuba Fit Body Weight Control Chicken Formula Small Breed Dry Dog Food
BEST FOR SENIORS
4. VICTOR Purpose Senior Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
BEST FOR PUPPIES
5. Now Fresh Grain-Free Small Breed Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food
When considering shopping for dog foods for this breed, know that these canine friends belong to the family of small, active, energetic, and muscled dogs. It is therefore imperative that their foods contain high-quality ingredients that are packed with high quality protein, fatty acids and vitamins.
Best Rated Dog Food For Puggles Reviewed
This crossbreed is naturally athletic and has a very healthy appetite. Buying the best dog food for Puggle can prove an impossible task. However, there are also some benefits to buying breed-specific dog food. Thus, we provide a list of some of the great products for your dog.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Small Breed Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 26% Min
- Fat: 15% Min
- Fiber: 4% Max
- Calories: 383 kcal/cup
- Makes muscles well-defined
- Restores dog’s hair
- Ingredients agree with most metabolisms
- Manages weight very well
- Increases energy levels
- Food bag may be packaged in an oversized box which causes damage upon delivery
- Food bag is not resealable
The kibble size is perfect for smaller jaws and will help remove tartars and promote stronger teeth. Additionally, it contains sources of many vitamin sources, vitamin supplements, essential minerals, antioxidants, and natural preservatives. Fruits and vegetables like apples, blueberries, and spinach are also included to improve your dog’s overall health. Moreover, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals are well blended to form Blue LifeSource Bits. These are great for supporting healthy oxidative balance, the health of the immune system, and each life stage. In addition, there are no poultry by-products, no corn, soy or wheat, no artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
Hill's Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Small & Mini Breed Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 21% Min
- Fat: 12% Min
- Fiber: 4% Max
- Calories: 392 kcal/cup
- Effective for allergies and allergic reactions
- Fills dog up faster
- Improves digestion
- Made with high quality ingredients
- Has a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Some dogs do not seem to like the taste
- Not really great for some skin problems
Furthermore, the antioxidants contained here have been proven clinically to have a lot of health benefits. Vitamins C and E will consequently help ensure that your dog is immune to diseases and allergens. There is zero artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. This diet also comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee which requires you to return the unused segment to the place you purchased it. In addition, you will get a full refund or replacement when you do so.
Eukanuba Fit Body Weight Control Chicken Formula Small Breed Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 29% Min
- Fat: 10% Min
- Fiber: 3.9% Max
- Calories: 320 kcal/cup
- Helps to maintain a healthy weight at a steady pace
- Low in calories
- Great for overall health
- Great for skin and coat
- Makes dog’s stools firmer
- The bag is too small for the price
- Not a good choice for picky dogs
Furthermore, this is very important to help control excess weight while keeping the dog full. Fatty acids sourced from Omega 3 and 6 will consequently ensure that your dog has great skin and coat. The packaging of this food may vary, but the nutritious content remains high quality. In the end, it also has zero artificial coloring and flavors.
VICTOR Purpose Senior Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 27.0% Min
- Fat: 11.5% Min
- Fiber: 4.5% Max
- Calories: 370 kcal/cup
- Great for patella luxation, arthritis, and other mobility issues
- Helps in weight reduction and control
- Increases energy levels of senior Puggle
- Eliminates bad breath and allergic reactions
- Price is quite high
- Makes dog shed too much
Furthermore, the ingredients are very digestible, nutrient-rich, satisfying, and reduces the volume of stool. Fatty acids and other advanced ingredients will also consequently help improve the dog’s digestive and immune systems. In addition, many common allergens like corn, soy, wheat, glutens, and grain byproducts are not included in this formula.
Now Fresh Grain-Free Small Breed Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 28% Min
- Fat: 18% Min
- Fiber: 4.5% Max
- Calories: 416 kcal/cup
- Right-sized kibble for small-breed puppies
- Very easily digestible
- Keeps puppies very healthy and happy
- Made with high-quality ingredients
- Eliminates eye tearing
- Maybe too fragrant for some customers
- There are some quality control and product consistency issues
Furthermore, overall brain development is a function of DHA/EPA as well as other essential nutrients. This puppy food also has a small sized kibble that will be easier for your puppy to chew and prevent tartars. Moreover, this recipe is free from rendered meats, by-products, grain, corn, beef, soy, wheat, gluten, and artificial preservatives.
Key Considerations When Buying The Best Dog Food For Puggle
Puggles is a mix that is popular and fun-loving. This small-breed dog has needs that are quite different from those of larger breed dogs. To buy the best dog food for Puggle, it is important to know their nutritional needs. Thus, armed with this knowledge, you can go ahead to choose the dog food that is most appropriate for these needs.
- Kibble Size – Many dog owners buy dog food without knowing the kibble size. This is because kibble size information is not provided on the bag. Most people prefer dry dog food but do not consider this vital factor. In the end, your small breed dogs have smaller mouths. Having smaller mouths will, thus, make it hard for your Puggle to chew or swallow large kibble. It may even choke your dog. Moreover, some of these dogs are prone to inhaling their food and large kibbles will get stuck in their esophagus. If you happen to buy dog food with large kibble size, you can immerse the kibble in hot water and mash. Therefore, the best way to avoid this is to get dog food that is especially for small breed dogs.
- Protein and Fat – Puggles need a lot of protein and fat in their diets than most large breed dogs do. So, dog food with the right combination of protein and fat in a complete and balanced diet is your best option.
- Palatability for Picky Eaters – Every Puggle is unique in its own way. Some Puggles are quite picky. Moreover, they may like their food one day and hate it the next day. Also, some Puggles do not eat without flavoring. Such picky eaters need food that smells great, is nutrient-rich and tastes delicious. Moreover, it is important to get an energy-dense dog food that will give your dog the calories he needs from those small portions.
- Ingredients – It is usually said that the higher the price of the dog food, the higher the quality of the ingredients. While this may not always be the case, animal protein sources are not quite cheap. So, to help your dog get the best health, the ingredients have to be made up of mainly quality protein.
- Price – The price of your best dog food varies from place to place. So, try to get the dog food that offers the most ingredients at the lowest price. In other words, just following the rule of thumb and buy the best that you can afford.
It is important to keep the basic nutritional requirements of Puggles in mind to help consequently avoid some health problems.
- Protein – This should be a major ingredient in your Puggle’s diet for the development of lean muscles. It is also great for building and repairing tissues, as well as making hormones, enzymes, and other chemicals needed by the body. Thus, keep his meals rich in protein and balanced in calories to keep his stomach full and his weight healthy. Moreover, meat, fish, and eggs are the best sources of animal protein.
- Carbs – Puggles do not really need carbs as they can get some from protein and fats. However, carbohydrates are really the best source of calories for your dog. They can also be found in fruits and vegetables. Carbs also have to be well cooked to make them easily digestible so that fermenting in the large intestine can be avoided. In the end, ensure that your dog is getting calories and not fillers.
- Fats – Your dog will need omega fatty acids for healthier joints, coat, skin, vision, heart, and digestion. Moreover, fat provides energy and consequently helps the body to suitably use vitamins that are fat-soluble.
- Fiber – Fiber is another beneficial nutrient that will keep dogs feeling full without having to eat much. This will consequently reduce their calorie count and save them from obesity. Also, dietary fibers like chicory, barley, beet pulp, and oats will help your Puggles to digest their food in small amounts.
- Mineral and Vitamin – A lot of calcium and phosphorus is necessary to keep the Puggle’s bones very strong. For healthy immune system and vision, your pet’s diet should include Vitamins A, C, and E. Moreover, this will help in preventing hypothyroidism. Vitamin A also helps in preventing Cherry Eye. Glucosamine and chondroitin should not be left out of your dog’s diet. In the end, these supplements are important for the strength, mobility and general health of your Puggle’s joints.
How Much Should You Feed Your Puggle By Age?
As a result of the gluttonous nature of this crossbreed, their food can be split into two or three meals per day. Since they can weigh between 18 and 30 pounds, they require high-quality dog food that will fill them up quickly. Also, because they have brachycephalic noses, the kibble should be smaller, easy to pick up, to chew, as well as swallow.
- Puppy – The best way to have a healthy Puggle is to start as soon as it has been weaned. High quality puppy food with about 170 calories per day will be required to keep up with their energy requirements. So, you can feed your puppy 2 or 3 times daily.
- Adult – Because of the weight of Puggles, they can be fed half cups of food every day. This half can be spread out as 2 times a day or given at once.
- Senior – This older crossbreed can be fed senior dog food with weight control 1 or 2 times a day. So, half cups of dog food is preferable for this aging dog.
Puggle Food Allergies And Food Related Health Issues
Puggles eat a lot and are prone to weight problems. The brachycephalic nature of their noses can also cause some breathing problems. In the end, many of the health issues that affect Puggles have a lot to do with their diet.
- Allergies – Puggles have food allergies too. The first thing to do when you notice a reaction is to visit a vet. The vet may run an allergy test to determine the allergen. Overall, a dog food with limited ingredients will be prescribed to curb these allergies.
- Hypothyroidism – This condition develops as a result of your dog’s inability to make adequate thyroid hormones. Some of its symptoms include weight gain, shedding excessively, rapid hair loss, mental dullness, inability to bear cold, and fatigue. Moreover, after consulting your vet, this condition can be properly treated. In order to prevent it, however, your dog has to be fed a lot of essential vitamins, minerals, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Your Puggle will also be less likely to develop this problem if it maintains a proper weight.
- Stenotic Nares – Also known as pinched nostrils, this condition develops from birth in short-nosed dogs. It causes breathing difficulty and can be prevented by avoiding excess weight. In the end, Puggles inherit this health problem from their pug parentage. Obesity tends to worsen this situation. So, surgery is the only solution to this problem, hence the need to avoid it.
- Hip Dysplasia – This genetic condition arises when the thighbone does not properly fit the hip joint. It is usually inherited from your dog’s beagle parentage. Your Puggle is likely to develop this problem, but the right diet will consequently make life bearable for it. Omega fatty acids and vitamins C and E will help make the joints flexible and ease the symptoms.
- Patellar Luxation – This condition, common in female dogs, is a dislocation of the kneecap. You can notice it when the dogs start skipping, lifting their hind legs or moving them in a strange way. In some cases, dogs may be unable to walk on both legs. As a result, you can remedy this by watching your Puggle’s weight. Also, ensure the dog food contains nutrients that improve joint health.
In conclusion, the major point to take note of when choosing the best dog food for your Puggles is their likelihood to gain weight. As discussed earlier, your dog does not need the extra weight if it is to live up to 15 years. Thus, concentrate on feeding this lovely dog high quality balanced diet, and add lots of exercises.
As a result, this will keep it healthy through every life stage and limit its health issues. Therefore, we hope this article will be influential when you are buying the best dog food for your Puggle.