Best Dog Harness for German Shepherds
The German Shepherd Dog is a breed which originated in Germany in 1899 (hence its name) and were originally developed for herding and guarding sheep.
These are large sized dogs, generally ranging from 55 and 65 cm (22 and 26 in), with an ideal height of 63 centimeters (25 in) according to Kennel Club standards.
They weigh up to 30-40 kg (66–88 lbs.) for males and 22–32 kg (49–71 lbs.) for females. With strong jaws and erect ears, the German Shepherd has a long neck.
German Shepherd breeds can come in a variety of colors, with the most common being tan/black and red/black. These dogs often come with black masks (markings on the face) and body markings. Rarer
Best Rated Dog Harness for German Shepherds Reviewed
Image Product Features CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE
For dogs that have neck problems or are of a bigger size, leashes alone are never enough to do the job.
Much like any other product for dogs, we understand that choosing the right one could be a tiring and daunting task as there are thousands of items out there.
To help with this process, we have provided a list of suggestions for the best dog harness for your German Shepherds.
Why A Good Dog Harness Matters
When it comes to owning a dog harness, people might be wondering what the difference is to that and a leash, and why a dog requires a dog harness in the first place. When it comes to German Shepherds, these harnesses:
- Give you better control over your German Shepherd when walking, running or hiking, and since these are strong, big dogs, it makes it much easier to redirect them.
- Makes welfare and health of the dog a priority by spreading pressure evenly across the body. It helps to reduce gagging, choking and neck/spinal injuries.
- Gives you and your German Shepherd the capability to perform specific tasks like tracking.
- Serves as an attachment device to a seatbelt in the car to secure your dog since it may be illegal to drive a car with an unsecured dog in some countries.
Choosing the Best Dog Harness for Your German Shepherd
It would be ignorant to think that simply purchasing any harness would be sufficient enough to do the job.
There is a multitude of harnesses for different dog sizes, with some being more heavy-set than others.
Whatever the case, it is important to consider some of the following factors when choosing the right harness for your German Shepherd.
- Safety- Beyond everything else, having a no pull harness that is safe is most important. It would be foolish to own a harness that would break easily and end up leaving your German Shepherd running off without control.
- Durability-German Shepherds are super active and a weak harness can wear out quickly. This is especially true if your pup requires constant, continuous exercise. For this reason, it is important the harness is durable enough to last long.
- Comfort- Much like the clothes we wear, comfort should be the top priority when choosing a harness. Since it is difficult for a dog to speak, it is your duty as an owner to ensure that the feel and overall fit of the harness are on the spot.
Overall, while standard nylon harnesses should be the great harnesses for German Shepherd owners, they are not limited to these types.
Any of the products mentioned above are great choices for harnesses to put onto your German Shepherd breed.
Yet, since these dogs tend to be more active and are often employed for harsher activities, it is no doubt that owners should look for harnesses that are well-built and sturdy.
- Best Dog Harness for Golden Retrievers
- Best Dog Harness for Labradoodles
- Best Dog Harness for Cocker Spaniel
- Best Dog Food For German Shepherds