The 5 Best Dog Harness For Deep Chested Dogs
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Deep chested dogs usually have chest plates that drop down to the elbows or below. This makes the chest area proportionately deeper than an average chested dog.
Deep-chested means deep, not wide and can usually be found in large breeds, but small and medium dog breeds can be deep-chested as well.
Deep chests can be found in breeds like Dobermans, Irish Wolfhounds, Greyhounds, Dachshunds and Pekingese to name a few.
With so many shapes and sizes, of deep chested dogs, you should keep your dogs particular shape in mind when choosing a harness to accommodate him.
Harnesses that will distribute pressure and provide straps behind the legs are best for deep chested breeds. Here is a breakdown of the best types of harnesses for your dogs build and what they are best for.
Compare Best Dog Harness For Deep Chested Dogs
1. Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness
BEST FOR DURABILITY
2. Chai's Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness
BEST FOR DAILY USE
3. Pawtitas Camouflage Reflective Padded Dog Harness
BEST FOR LARGE DOGS
4. HDP Big Dog No Pull Dog Harness
5. Blueberry Pet 3M Reflective Dog Harness
Crash tested for safe car rides
3M reflective material
No choke design
Reflective strips and patch
Five adjustment types
Seat belt handle attachment
Easy snap buckles
Four adjustment points
High price range
Mid price range
Mid price range
Low price range
Mid price range
Steel nesting buckles
Chest o-ring for no pulling
Back & front clip
Design distributes weight evenly
How We Tested:
- We purchased 5 of the best dog harnesses for deep chested dogs
- We spent a few hours testing these harnesses
- These products were purchased with our own money, not in exchange for a favorable review
- Safety – A crash-tested harness, that restrains your dog in the car in case of a sudden stop or impact, is the safest kind. Some attach easily to your car’s seat belt system, and are also a walking harness.
- Durability –There are many durable materials used in the construction of a dog harnesses, but rip-stop nylon, canvas and denim are some of the more durable.
- Material – Harnesses are made from leather, plastic, nylon, and other types of fabric. If your dog tends to get wet while on walks, consider something that dries quick. If your dog chews then you will need a sturdy harness.
- Adjustments- A harness should have many points of adjustment, in order to fit dogs of all shapes and sizes. A harness with at least 4 adjustment points is ideal to find your dogs perfect fit.
- Comfort – Harnesses should be made from comfortable materials to prevent chaffing. Soft mesh and plush fabrics can help provide adequate comfort around nylon, if well designed.
- Cost – A good harness is a small investment. There are many quality harnesses at reasonable prices depending on your needs.
- Style – There are many harness styles and the best choice will depend on your dog’s personality and size. Some styles are no-pull, standard, step through, dual strap, etc.
- Visibility – If you walk your dog in low light conditions or hike wooded areas, you may want a high-visibility harness. Some include reflective material or tiny LED lights to make sure your dog can be seen.
- LED – An LED dog harness is usually constructed from lightweight materials, and comes with a variety of useful features, such as adjustable light modes, reflective strips, and rechargeable batteries for hours of use.
- Back Clip – Back-clip harnesses attach on top of a dog’s back or shoulders. These are best for smaller, calm or well trained dogs.
- Front Clip – Front-clip harnesses have a leash attachment on the chest. This gives the owner more control and stops the dog from pulling. These are best for larger dogs or dogs that pull.
- Multi Clip– Some harnesses come with attachments on both front and back. This gives the option to use it as a front or back clip when walking your dog.
- Reflective – A reflective harness is a necessity if you walk your dog at night or in low light situations. This keeps your dog from harm and makes him easier to be seen.
- No Pull- No-pull harnesses are a simple way to discourage your dog from pulling. They usually have a front clip attachment and some have front and top for dual control. There are usually straps that cross above the dogs shoulders and behind the front legs.
- Step Through – A step-through harness means your dog puts his front legs between two loops to get into the harness. Once the dogs legs are in position, a single buckle attaches behind your dogs front legs.
Product Reviews: The 5 Best Dog Harness For Deep Chested Dogs
Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness
- Safety: Crash tested for safe car rides
- Adjustments: Five adjustment types
- Price: High price range
- Style: Steel nesting buckles
- Includes seat-belt loop for car
- Chest pad provides comfort
- Difficult for dogs to escape
- Harness is heavy
- Buckles are in awkward areas
The all-steel Nesting Buckle System is designed by engineers based on harnesses used by rock climbers and linesmen, ensuring strength and safety.
With five adjustments points, it’s easy to get a near custom fit for your deep chested dog, regardless of his size and proportions.
The chest pad reduces stress on the trachea and sternum while dispersing kinetic energy across the chest of the dog. This is important during those rare but dangerous impact crashes. The chest pad and straps are also designed with comfort in mind, making this dog car harness a good choice as an everyday walking harness.
Chai's Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness
- Safety: 3M reflective material
- Adjustments: Seat belt handle attachment
- Style: Chest o-ring for no pulling
- Price: Mid price range
- Two leash attachment options
- Mesh padding on chest and belly
- Available in many sizes and colors
- Best for larger dogs
- Sizes may run small
It is also equipped with reflective piping interwoven into its durable nylon exterior to make sure your pup is visible when walking at night. With 4 adjustable straps, nine vibrant color options, and a wide variety of size choices you can customize this harness for your dog.
Chaotic walks and car rides will be a thing of the past if select the chest-mounted O-ring to discourage pulling. You can also buckle your dog in for road trips by slipping a seat belt through the sturdy built-in handle on top of the harness.
Pawtitas Camouflage Reflective Padded Dog Harness
- Safety: Step-through design
- Adjustments: Reflective strip
- Price: Mid price range
- Style: Back & front clip
- Easy to put on
- Reflective in low light
- Several sizes and colors
- May run small
- Only two adjustments
This harness has thick neoprene padding which means it’s ultra-comfy to wear, and is available in different sizes and camouflage colors so you can find the right fit for your deep chested dog’s custom shape.
HDP Big Dog No Pull Dog Harness
- Safety: No choke design
- Adjustments: Easy snap buckles
- Style: Reflective strip
- Price: Low price range
- Large top handle for grip
- Extra padding
- Distributes weight evenly
- No chest ring attachment
- Bulky for smaller dogs
- Runs large
The extra wide chest padding distributes the weight throughout your dog’s chest and shoulders, which assists dogs with a comfortable walking experience.
The top mounted D-ring, it gives dogs plenty freedom of motion while leaving the ultimate control to you. A built-in top-handle allows you to keep your dog close when needed, as well as help him over rougher terrain.
Blueberry Pet 3M Reflective Dog Harness
- Safety: Reflective strips and patch
- Adjustments: Four adjustment points
- Price: Mid price range
- Style: Design distributes weight evenly
- Available in several colors and sizes
- Eco-friendly materials
- Made from lightweight materials
- No front ring attachment
- Sizes run big
Featuring reflective material throughout to add visibility during nighttime walks, and the easy assembly is great for daily use.
This harness is made from lightweight materials for the ultimate in comfort, and the unique dual-vest design helps to distribute weight against even the strongest pullers.
There are four adjustment points for the perfect fit on a deep chested dog. The striped straps provide a look that will have your dog walking safely and in style.
Choosing the best harness for deep chested dogs can be tricky due to their unusual shape, but fortunately there are some great options out there. Keeping your dogs comfort and safety in mind will make daily walks easier for everyone.