The 5 Best Shampoos for Shar Pei Dogs
Serving as a guard dog back in the day, the Shar Pei has a rough history as also being pitted against other dogs as a fighting pup.
For this reason, they may have a fighting sprint and high energy levels. They retain their toughness in terms of appearance but are overall quite gentle affectionate creatures.
Quick Look at Our Top Picks:
Grooming a Shar Pei
One of the things that Shar Pei are most prominently known for is their undeniably bristle, wrinkly coat.
It is characterized as standing up straight and has the coarse texture similar to a horse. Often times it comes in the color of dark brown, fawn, cream, and/or sable.
With this type of hair, just as one would imagine, Shar Peis shed quite minimally and are rather clean dogs with very little odor.
They do not require as much attention as other dogs when it comes to grooming, but still should be thoroughly brushed once a week to remove dead hair and dirt.
They only need to be bathed every 12 weeks, as frequent baths result in irritation of the skin.
Bathing a Shar Pei
One of the more prominent qualities of the Shar Pei is its wrinkly, loose skin. For those that are unaware, this coat feels as it looks, being rather harsh in texture and type.
Known as having a ‘brush coat,’ owners should be aware that such a coat should never look shiny, and if it does, that means you are not treating it the way such a coat was meant to be. Just because it may look rough does not necessarily mean it is unhealthy.
In fact, that is why knowing what type of coat your specific breed has is so important for taking care of it.
Steps for Bathing
When it comes to bathing your pet, the steps are somewhat self-explanatory and similar to any other breed, but there are still some minor differences, as described in the following:
- Grab a blow dryer (a high velocity dryer is suggested) and use that to remove any dander, as well as excess dirt from the loose coat
- Make sure to brush the coat once to make sure any dead hair or dirt is removed from deep within the cracks of its skin
- Wipe everything down so that it is fully ready to take a bath
- Place your Shar Pei into the tub (with a towel at its feet so it does not slip) and turn on the water
- Make sure to let it warm up first before pouring it over the body
- Once at a luke-warm temperature, start washing your Shar Pei from the back, to its head, down to its chest, and all the way around its legs
- Grab a shampoo and place on a cloth, sponge, or some sort of washing brush glove
- Massage across the body and make sure to get in between the wrinkled lines of its loose skin
- Maintain this action for about 3-5 minutes, and be sure to clean out between the cracks
- Grab a cotton swab and dip into the warm water
- Use this to clean out the cracks and space between the facial folds, but do so gently as you do not want to harm your pet
- When all is done, rinse off your pet with the warm water, and repeat over and over until you do not see a hint of shampoo or bubbles
Drying a Shar Pei
Similar to a Bulldog or any other hound that has wrinkly, loose skin, a Shar Pei needs extra attention when it comes to the drying process. You cannot expect to dry it the same way you would any other pet like a Chihuahua or German Shepherd. Instead, you should do the following.
- Place a towel over it once it has been fully rinsed out
- Pat away and make sure all the moisture soaks up into the towel
- Once it is moderately clean, grab a dry cotton swab and use this to dry out the spaces between the facial folds first
- After this, do the same with any wrinkly area around its skin, making sure that every crack is thoroughly dried out
- When you are finished, grab a hair dryer, put it on low setting, and use this to slowly dry your beloved Shar Pei
- Lift the areas of loose skin and/or open the folds to ensure that it is dried all throughout
The last thing you want is mold or bacterial build up between the space of each wrinkly fold. These dogs are prominently known for their loose skin, so make sure that this is one area you pay close attention to.
Best Shampoos for Shar Pei Dogs Reviewed
Shar Pei dogs may already look hilarious with their wrinkly skin and face, but this may go far from being adorably hilarious to more so, stinky and unappealing if they are not care for properly.
With these dogs, bathing is an important step in keeping dirt away from their wrinkles, and along with that, the use of a the best dog shampoo is absolutely vital. So, to make sure you are getting the right product for your Shar Pei, we have recommended some items below.
Having been around for ages, it is only natural that being a Shar Pei owner requires the right care and attention for these wholesome pets.
They may have a heavy background of guarding, hunting, fighting, and herding, this does not mean they are not prone to getting skin or coat problems if not groomed well.
These rough dogs should be tended to much like any other small cute breed. With that being said, referring to any of the shampoos above would be a great way to do so.