Best Dehydrated Dog Food
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Out of the many categories of dog foods available in the market, one option that is rapidly gaining popularity is dehydrated dog food. This type of product removes all the moisture from the food and dries it up completely. This process of dehydration increases the shelf life and also retains its original nutritional value. Therefore, dehydrated dog food is for dog owners who prefer a raw diet for their beloved pets.
Quick Look At Our Top Picks For Best Dehydrated Dog Food:
- The Honest Kitchen Whole Grain Dog Food
- Stella and Chewy’s Pet Supplies
- Wellness CORE Tender Bites Original Recipe
- Sojos Complete Natural Grain Free
- Primal Freeze Dried Pet Foods
Image Product Features CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE
Best Rated Dehydrated Dog Food Reviewed
Now that we have evaluated the important benefits of dehydrated dog food, let us look into some great options for your pet. All of the items we recommend below are what people consider to be great picks for dehydrated dog food.
Benefits of Dehydrated Dog Food
This type of diet provides a healthy and high protein diet for your canine. It has a lot of vitamins and minerals. Furthermore, if you are choosing this diet for the very first time, then the name might sound a little intimidating. However, these recipes are in fact very easy to prepare. Before we look into some of the most recommended dehydrated food recipes for dogs, let’s assess the benefits of dehydrated dog food.
- Freeze dried foods are easier to digest – Such foods are easy on the stomach. Doctors also recommend this type of food.
- Dehydrated food retains most of the nutrients – While the cooking process of the dry food kibble requires high temperatures, dehydrated food retains most nutrients.
- Easier to prepare – This type of food is much easier to prepare as you only need to add boiled water. It helps save time.
- Dehydrated food has a longer shelf life – Due to zero moisture, these foods have a longer shelf life.
- Easier to store – There is no need for refrigeration, as opposed to canned or other food options.
- Diverse sources of protein – Usually these diets are high in protein and have multiple sources.
- Healthier skin and coat – By preserving the nutritional content in the raw ingredients, dehydrated dog food helps ensure that your dog gets the healthy fats to improve its skin and coat conditions.
- Improved energy levels – Since the dehydration method makes it easy for your canine pet to absorb nutrients, the overall intake and nutrient absorption process become healthier. This greatly affects the energy levels of your pet. This makes it active and stronger than earlier.
- Stronger immune system – Moreover, an increase in the nutrient absorption will also help to improve the overall strength of your dog’s immune system as improved digestion is directly attributed to a strong immune system.
- Healthy weight maintenance – Most dehydrated dog foods are rich in protein with a moderate amount of fat content and considerably lower carbohydrate content. This is the ideal formula to help your canine maintain a healthy body weight.
Disadvantages of Dehydrated Dog Food
With so many advantages of dehydrated dog food, you might be wondering if there are also many disadvantages. Well, there definitely are some disadvantages that you should consider before picking this food option.
- Expensive – Dehydrated food is usually less expensive than freeze-dried, but both options tend to be more expensive than the good old dry kibble.
- The texture may be not appealing to some dogs – Dogs that are used to the crunch of a kibble, or the feel of raw food may not enjoy the texture of dehydrated or freeze-dried foods. These types of food have a softer texture that is a more like oatmeal.
- The taste isn’t always natural – The process of dehydration can change the taste slightly, but that’s good enough for your pet to detect the change. Your pet may not relish this change of taste. However, freeze-dried foods are much better at preserving the taste of the ingredients put into the recipe than the air-dried foods.
- Rehydration time – Though rehydrating the food is usually a quick process, it could also take a few hours depending on the type and brand of the food.
How are these two different recipes processed?
- Air dried dog food – This dog food is processed under high temperatures to extract all the moisture from the raw dog food. Most air-dried dog foods prepares in about 140º F to 180º F. One potential problem with this option is that the cooking process takes longer, which exposes meat to potential spoilage due to oxidation. This doesn’t necessarily mean that all air-dried dehydrated dog foods may be spoiled. Moreover, the food is also slightly cooked when being air dried, so the nutritional content might be lost during the process.
- Freeze-dried dog food – This type of dog food undergoes a process that is significantly quicker by using lower temperatures for drying dog food. It has less damage to the nutritional content. All the nutrition including vitamins, minerals, fats, and proteins remain intact until you dog eats it. This makes it a better option than the air-dried food. This also retains most flavor and aroma of the food compared to the air-dried food recipes.
To conclude, no processed food is completely perfect for your dear pet as any processed dog food loses some of its nutritional value. It is also important to keep in mind that every dog is different and each dog has its own needs and taste preferences. Dehydrated dog food recipes are certainly gaining popularity among dog owners because this dog food option retains a high amount of nutrition and flavor. In addition, it also offers a certain degree of convenience to dog owners as it is extremely easy to prepare. Nevertheless, before introducing any big change in your pet’s diet, we recommend you seek the advice of an expert or a vet.