Best Dog Food For Chihuahuas
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Chihuahuas are companion dogs of Mexican origin. This smallest breed domestic dog may be either shorthaired or longhaired.
They occur in different color combinations and usually behave based on the temperament of their parents or grandparents. These fiercely loyal dogs thrive well when properly trained and allowed to socialize.
Compare Best Dog Food For Chihuahuas
1. Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Toy Breed Grain Free Chicken Meal
BEST FOR WEIGHT LOSS
2. Merrick Lil Plates Dry Dog Food
BEST SENIOR DOG FOOD
3. Eukanuba Senior Dry Dog Food Small Breed
BEST PUPPY DOG FOOD
4. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food Grain Free Small & Mini Breed Puppy
BEST FOR ALLERGIES
5. AvoDerm Adult Food
We try to use the criteria recommended by the World Small Animal Veterinary Association when choosing the best dog foods for Lhasa Apsos. We look for foods that meet the following criteria as much as possible:
- Foods that are AAFCO-approved, preferably with food trials.
- Dog foods that have been formulated by veterinary nutritionists.
- We give great consideration to nutritional research done by the company.
- Good quality control is essential.
Special Considerations For Feeding Chihuahuas
As a toy breed, the main thing you need to know about the Chihuahuas is that, while he it may not need a large volume of food, the caloric density of his its diet is very important. Chihuahuasalso need high-quality ingredients to ensure digestibility and nutritional balance.
So, what do you look for when shopping for the best dog food for Chihuahuas? Here are some considerations you should keep in mind:
- Caloric Density. Small and toy breeds have very fast metabolisms, so your Chihuahuas may require as much as 40 to 45 calories per pound of body weight as an adult – more as a puppy.
- Dry Food. Because toy breeds have a high risk for dental problems, it’s best to feed your Chihuahuas a low-fat dry food to keep his its teeth clean.
- Easy to Digest. Many toy breeds have sensitive digestive systems which can lead to an increased risk for food allergies later in life – choose a formula made with highly digestible ingredients.
- Small Kibble. As a toy breed, Chihuahuas have small mouths and teeth so it’s a good idea to choose a product that comes in a smaller kibble size.
- Probiotics and prebiotics. Prebiotics and probiotics help keep your Chihuahua’s gastrointestinal system functioning, as well as strengthening the immune system
5 Best Rated Dog Food Or Chihuahuas Reviewed
To dog food market has a variety of options for small breed dogs. Here, we have taken the liberty of easing your stress and saving you a lot of time by carefully picking out well-categorized products that will be suitable for your Chihuahua’s diet. Being a small calorie-burning breed, a lot of factors were considered before this final selection was made. Be assured that at least one of the products reviewed here will be the perfect dog food for your furry pet. Here are some of the best dog food for Chihuahuas.
Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Toy Breed Grain Free Chicken Meal
- Protein: 37.0% Min
- Fat: 16.0% Min
- Fiber: 3.5% Max
- Calories: kcal/cup 456
- Made with whole food ingredients
- Digestible carbohydrates
- Nutrient-rich chicken fat
- Fiber for healthy digestion
- Allergens are present in the new Formula
- The much-loved freeze-dried raw-bits are now sold separately
Some nutritional benefits include natural probiotics, Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and antioxidants which are well blended to help your dog’s digestive health, improve the appearance of his skin and coat, and boost the immune system.
Calcium, phosphorus, glucosamine and chondroitin also form part of this recipe to ensure your dog maintains strong teeth, bones, and joints. Every ingredient maintains its nutritional value after the minimal processing to ensure your Chihuahua has all he needs to thrive without having to visit the vet too often.
This is an excellent choice for small dogs. It is nutritious, delicious and balanced with some freeze dried chicken that Chihuahuas love dearly. Every bowl of this food is grain-free and nutrient-rich to transform your small dog’s life tremendously.
Merrick Lil Plates Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 34.00% Min
- Fat: 14.00% Min
- Fiber: 4.50% Max
- Calories: kcal/cup 352
- Animal proteins as first three ingredients
- Gluten-free and grain-free
- Small kibble size
- Packed with nutrient-rich superfoods
- Quite expensive
For optimal digestion and maintenance of healthy weight, this meal has probiotic and prebiotic fiber. The skin and coat of your Chihuahua deserves the nurturing of the Omega fatty acids present in this recipe. The kibble size is also great for dogs with teeth issues.
This dog food is made to meet the dietary needs of overweight Chihuahuas. It is made with optimal ingredients that your dog will love immensely. They are very good for allergies and teeth problems too.
Eukanuba Senior Dry Dog Food Small Breed
- Protein: 29% Min
- Fat: 17% Min
- Fiber: 4.0% Max
- Calories: kcal/cup 355%
- Specialized fiber system for better nutrient absorption and digestion
- Naturally-sourced glucosamine and chondroitin
- Formulated for the higher metabolism of small dogs
- Optimal levels of omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids
- With 29 percent crude protein and 178 percent crude fat, this food is best for active dog
- This is a maintenance dog food so it’s not suitable for life stages
This dog food has an Eukanuba 3D Dentadefense system to fight the build-up of tartars, calcium for stronger bones, and Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids to keep the skin and coat very healthy and gorgeous. The fiber content of this food is gotten from prebiotic FOS and natural beet pulp to enhance absorption of nutrients in the body and ease digestion. When on this diet, your senior Chihuahua is assured of an optimized metabolism that will enable him stay lean and active for a very long time.
Eukanuba brings a poultry flavor your senior Chihuahua will love. Your dog’s good health will be evident in his gorgeous coat and healthy skin. All the nutrients your older and less active dog needs to thrive at this stage of his life are made available in this premium dog food.
Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food Grain Free Small & Mini Breed Puppy
- Protein: 35.00% Min
- Fat: 17.00% Min
- Fiber: 4.50% Max
- Calories: kcal/cup 481
- High levels of animal protein
- Natural fiber
- No corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Not many flavours to choose from
This recipe provides optimal nutrition to support healthy immune function, cellular health, digestion and regularity through natural ingredients, antioxidants, fruits and vegetables.
Live yoghurt cultures, digestive enzymes and natural fibers are available in this holistic dog food to enhance digestion, maintain healthy output of food, and improve your dog’s daily health. Holistic Select also has prebiotics and probiotics stimulate healthy bacteria growth in the gut to help in breaking down and absorbing important nutrients for adequate nutrition and immunity.
This dog food will provide your puppy Chihuahuas with better digestion, better nutrition and better life. With zero meat by-products, flavors, wheat, wheat-gluten, fillers or artificial colors, Holistic Select will keep your Boxer jumping for joy at meal times
AvoDerm Adult Food
- Protein: 23% Min
- Fat: 13% Min
- Fiber: 4% Max
- Calories: kcal/cup 360
- Made with nutrient-rich avocado
- Puts an end to digestive problems
- Keeps coats beautiful and soft
- It is not available in pet stores
- Quite pricey
Keep your dog energetic, healthy and very happy with the premium protein and vitamins offered by AvoDerm. The ingredients are simple, digestible and agree with the stomachs of most Chinhuahuas. AvoDerm contains no wheat, corn, and artificial flavors. This is the best formula for your dog’s allergic reactions.
AvoDerm saves dogs’ lives with its unique recipe for all allergies your Chihuahua might have. The avocado will make sure your dog has no skin issues, stomach issues or appetite issues. This premium food is super digestible and will keep your pet’s fur looking very fabulous.
Chihuahua Dietary Needs
Chihuahuas, like every other dog, require good food to stay strong and healthy. They are highly sensitive to what they eat, how they eat it and when they eat it. Understanding the strong and sturdy nature of your pets will help you to know the kind of diet that will enhance their nature. This diet will have sufficient amounts of protein, carbohydrates, fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals required to keep them bouncy, healthy, strong and also extend their life span.
However, do not forget to feed your dog portions that are small and controlled. Low carbohydrate intake can make this breed very lazy and make the body turn to use up protein as an energy source, while excess carbohydrates can be stored up as fat and result in overweight.
This breed does not do well with artificial flavors, artificial coloring, artificial preservatives, generic animal fats, grains, wheat, and cheap fillers like corn and soy. Avoid spoiling your Chihuahua with food rewards and table servings.
Chihuahua Nutritional Requirements
The food you decide to give your Chihuahua should have a lot of beneficial nutrients in right proportions in order to retain its lean body structure throughout its lifetime. Water is the fundamental of your dog. Dog food that has a lot of protein and calories is usually of higher quality and will be required in smaller quantities. According to their life stage, puppies should be given a lot of protein and calories for a healthy growth. Adults should be given maintenance diet, and senior dogs should be given additional protein to maintain their body mass and antioxidants to enhance their immune system.
- Protein – Dog food that contains about 30% to 33% protein is appropriate for Chihuahuas. Protein sources should be from quality meat and fish.
- Carbs – Chihuahuas require a lot of carbs in their diet because they burn up a lot of calories as a result of their faster metabolic rates when compared to large-breed dogs. Complex carbohydrates help in stabilizing energy levels and muscle build up and maintenance. Good sources of carbohydrate for your dog include whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
- Fats – Fats are rich in energy-providing calories. This should be given moderately so that it can be easily burnt up and create space for more food. You really do not have to keep close tabs on how much fats your Chihuahua eats unless it actually becomes obese or overweight.
- Fiber – Fiber helps to ease the movement of food through the digestive system. Sources of fiber include whole grains and vegetables.
- Mineral and Vitamin – Minerals and vitamins are important for improving your dog’s immune system, promoting healthy skin, and ensuring overall healthy development. Dog food should have vitamins like Vitamins A, B12, C and E, folic acids, Omega oils, and mineral like sodium selenite and calcium lodate.
How Much Should You Feed Your Chihuahua?
Chihuahuas are small breeds that are at their best when they are fed small nutritious rations frequently. How much food you give your dog depends on its age, level of activity, individual metabolic rate, and the food quality.
- Puppy – Chihuahua puppies require about 50 calories per pound of their body weight. They should be free-fed for their first 3 months if they weigh below 2 pounds. At this stage, they are very energetic and burn up a lot of calories. Their food should be made accessible to them always. Scheduling of meals should begin 3-4 times daily when they are between 3 months (2 pounds) and 6 months. This can be adjusted to 2-3 meals daily when they are between 6 months and 1 year. You can read more about the best dog food for puppies here
- Adult – Adult Chihuahuas have need of about 35 to 40 calories per pound of their body weight, along with a lot of exercise. They should be fed twice daily, preferably in the mornings and evenings. This will be appropriate if you offer them snacks during the day. In some cases, however, they can be fed thrice daily.
- Senior – Senior Chihuahuas are less active, probably with some health issues. They will need about 30 calories per pound of their body weight to stay strong and be relieved from the health issues associated with dogs their age.
Chihuahua Food Allergies And Food Related Health Issues
Chihuahuas are quite picky about the quality and type of food they eat. They have a lot of allergens they react to in food. Some of these allergens are: chocolate, onions, fruit seeds, raisins, grapes, cherries, macadamia nuts, coffee, and artificial sweeteners.
Some of the ways you can know your dog has taken food allergens are diarrhea, itching and vomiting. The best solution to this is changing your dog food.
Choosing the best dog food for Chihuahuas should not be taken lightly. Their specific nutritional requirements should be met with appropriate dieting. While a very good brand of dog food may cost you a lot of money, it will most likely be quality food and save you a lot of trips to the veterinary doctor’s office. We have put together a review of some of the best dog food for Chihuahuas that will extend their life span and keep them healthy, happy and fresh-looking. We are optimistic that you will get at least one from our list that will meet the dietary needs of your companionable Chihuahua.
*This article is not a substitute for veterinary advice. Your veterinarian can provide personalized suggestions relevant to your dog’s unique situation.