Best Dog Food For Pomeranians
Easily one of the smallest dog breeds around, the Pomeranian tops out at just 7 pounds, though they may be as small as 3 pounds. Small as these dogs may be, they pack a lot of personality into their tiny bodies and they make wonderful companion pets.
Just like any dog, however, Pomeranians have specific nutritional needs that, as a dog owner, it is your job to meet.
Keep reading to learn more about your Pomeranian’s nutritional needs and how to meet them by choosing a high-quality dog food formula. You’ll also receive our top 5 picks for the best dog food for Pomeranians.
Quick Look At Our Top Picks For Best Dog Food For Pomeranians:
- Halo Holistic Chicken & Chicken Liver Small Breed Dog Food
- Solid Gold Lil’ Boss Grain-Free Small Breed Puppy Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Small Breed Senior Recipe
- Nature’s Recipe Small Breed Grain-Free Dog Food
- Natural Balance Small Breed Bites LID Lamb Meal Recipe
Image Product Features CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE
- 1 Special Considerations for Feeding Pomeranians
- 2 What Are the Top 5 Best Dog Foods for Pomeranians?
- 3 Understanding the Nutritional Needs of Pomeranians
- 4 Are There Any Special Dietary Requirements?
- 5 How Much Should You Feed Your Pomeranian?
- 6 Are There Any Food Allergies or Related Health Issues?
- 7 Final Remarks
Special Considerations for Feeding Pomeranians
As a toy breed, the main thing you need to know about the Pomeranian is that, while he it may not need a large volume of food, the caloric density of his its diet is very important. Pomeranians also need high-quality ingredients to ensure digestibility and nutritional balance.
So, what do you look for when shopping for the best dog food for Pomeranians? Here are some considerations you should keep in mind:
- Caloric Density. Small and toy breeds have very fast metabolisms, so your Pomeranian may require as much as 40 to 45 calories per pound of body weight as an adult – more as a puppy.
- Easy to Digest. Many toy breeds have sensitive digestive systems which can lead to an increased risk for food allergies later in life – choose a formula made with highly digestible ingredients.
- Dry Food. Because toy breeds have a high risk for dental problems, it’s best to feed your Pomeranian a dry food to keep his its teeth clean.
- Small Kibble. As a toy breed, Pomeranians have small mouths and teeth so it’s a good idea to choose a product that comes in a smaller kibble size.
Keeping all of these things in mind, you’re now ready to start shopping for the best dog food for Pomeranians. Keep reading to see our top 5 recommendations below:
What Are the Top 5 Best Dog Foods for Pomeranians?
The epitome of a big dog in a small dog’s body, the Pomeranian has a spark and a zest for life that goes unmatched in other dog breeds. If you want to sustain your dog’s vitality for the duration of his its life, make feeding him it a high-quality diet a top priority. Here are our top picks for the best dog food for Pomeranians that you should consider:
Understanding the Nutritional Needs of Pomeranians
All dogs require a blend of protein, fat and carbohydrate in their diets in addition to certain vitamins and minerals. Because dogs are primarily carnivorous, most of their nutrition should come from high-quality animal-based sources.
Protein is the most important nutrient for Pomeranians, and your dog needs at least 18% of its diet to come from protein as an adult and 22% as a puppy.
Fat is also extremely important because it provides a concentrated source of energy.
Pomeranians are toy-breed dogs which means that they have very fast metabolisms – this breed needs anywhere from 40 to 45 calories per pound of bodyweight to sustain its metabolism.
It also needs essential vitamins and minerals which are best from natural sources but are also acceptable in the form of chelated minerals because they have been bound to protein molecules to increase absorption.
Are There Any Special Dietary Requirements?
When it comes to special dietary requirements for Pomeranians, there aren’t any major problems you need to be aware of.
Keep in mind that fat provides a highly concentrated source of energy for your dog, so at least 5% of its diet should come from this nutrient (more is usually better). Protein is important for maintaining lean muscle mass, so aim for at least 25% when possible.
Consult the pet food package labelling to see how many calories each product contains and to determine the proper daily feeding amount.
How Much Should You Feed Your Pomeranian?
The amount you feed your Pomeranian may vary depending on several factors. First and foremost, consider his energy needs.
As a puppy, your Pomeranian will need a steady influx of calories to support his growth and development and, as an adult, he’ll need plenty of protein to sustain lean muscle mass.
Here are some general feeding tips for Pomeranians:
- Let your Pomeranian puppy feed freely to ensure that he gets enough calories – he’ll eat as much as he needs to.
- Feed your adult Pomeranian 3 small meals a day to keep his energy levels up – check the food label to determine how much he needs on a daily basis.
- Reduce your senior Pomeranian’s intake a little as his metabolism slows down but still make lean protein a priority.
Every dog’s needs are a little different so, even as you follow these tips, keep an eye on your dog’s weight and condition to see if you need to make any adjustments.
Are There Any Food Allergies or Related Health Issues?
All dogs have the potential to develop food allergies and toy breeds like the Pomeranian have an increased risk as they get older due to their sensitive digestive systems.
Consider feeding your Pomeranian a limited ingredient diet from the start or, at the very least, choose a recipe made with high-quality, easy-to-digest ingredients.
If your dog already has a food allergy, feed him it a recipe made with a novel source of protein and carbohydrate to relieve his its symptoms.
Your Pomeranian is full of energy and life, but he it still needs a high-quality diet to keep him it healthy. The best dog food for Pomeranians is rich in both calories and nutrients but formulated with small kibbles and plenty of fiber for healthy digestion. If you’re not sure which dog food is best for your Pomeranian, give one of our top 5 picks a try.