Best Dog Food for Rottweilers
Rottweilers are a very unique breed that can be used in many ways. While they have a reputation for being fierce guard dogs, they often make great family pets as well.
No matter which task you assign to your dog, the only way it would be able to perform well is if it is fed the right food. In fact, when dog owners complain of their dogs being sick, lazy or even just acting strange, these problems can be fixed by simply changing the dog’s diet. Therefore, it’s important to always feed your dog with the food that’s the best for them.
Quick Look at Our Top Picks:
Image Product Features View Best Price View Best Price View Best Price View Best Price View Best Price
Key Considerations When Buying Your Rottweiler Food
For the most part, Rottweilers are energetic and clownish dogs that require lots of protein and fat. However, even more than that, Rottweiler dogs have a list of health issues that need to be considered while buying food to feed them.
- AAFCO – The Association of American Feed Control Officials sets certain health, nutritional, and quality standards when it comes to pet foods. So while not having their stamp of approval doesn’t mean that the food is bad, having it means that the food is good. Therefore, in order to ensure that you are giving your dog the healthiest food possible and keeping them from getting sick, it is always a good idea to look out for their stamp.
- Meat – Your dog needs meat in their diet so you should be buying dog food with meat in it, but unfortunately, it is just not that simple. Not all meats are the same since not all of them offer the same nutritional value. Moreover, the nutritional value in a meat differs in the manner in which it is served, whether raw or cooked. Also, sometimes the best option is to have more than one type of meat in your dog’s food.
Pro Tip: Although fresh meat sounds like the best option, always look out for dog foods that include both fresh meat as well as meat meal. That’s because a large percentage of fresh meat is just water and doesn’t have any nutritional value.
Our Top Recommended Dog Food for Rottweilers
Figuring out what food is best for your dog requires a series of trial and error. However, it isn’t fair to make your dog suffer for the mistakes that you make. Therefore, we have compiled a list of products that we recommend you try. These products are for all types of Rottweilers to ensure its health and happiness.
Rottweiler Dietary Needs
Rottweiler dogs are prone to weight gain, and thus need to be fed in accordance with their meal plan. That is very important in order to keep them in shape. Moreover, make sure that your Rottweiler dog gets tons of exercise to stay healthy. However, in order to do this, you need to make sure that your Rottweiler is always full of energy. You can do that by giving them a diet rich in protein and fat. That’s because these two substances help them build muscle mass and provides them with energy.
It’s not so hard to keep your dog healthy and happy. All you need to do is make sure that they are getting all the nutrients that they need to remain healthy.
- Protein – Rottweilers are big dogs with strong and lean muscles that require lots of meat to fulfill their nutritional requirement. That’s because they require a lot of protein in order to maintain their body types. Therefore, your Rottweiler’s diet should contain at least 22 percent protein in order to ensure that their nutritional requirements are met. Also, providing them with the nutrients that they need to maintain their health is the simplest way to keep them healthy. So always check for the list of ingredients to ensure that your dog is fed with food rich in protein. While checking the ingredients, ensure that the first one is meat or a source of protein.
- Carbs – Carbs are also an important part of your Rottweilers diet, as it provides your dog with nutrients like potassium. It also keeps the dog full even after meal time. However, it is important to make sure that the food doesn’t have more carbohydrates than meat. That is to ensure that your dog is not gobbling up useless fillers that don’t provide it with the necessary health benefits.
- Fat – When it comes to fat, there is one very important thing that you should be looking out for, and that is the type of fat. Make sure that your dog’s food specifies the type of fat that is used in the food as opposed to simply stating “animal fat.” This will ensure that your dog is not only eating healthy fats but also eating the type of fats that will provide them with the nutrients and health benefits that they need to stay alert and energized. Rottweilers should ideally be consuming a diet with a minimum of 12 percent fat.
- Vitamins and Minerals – Just ensuring that your dog is full doesn’t get you anything. So it’s pointless to feed them with food that isn’t actually good for them. Not to mention that dogs require adequate vitamins and minerals in order to stay healthy. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the percentages of vitamins and minerals in the dog food. Whether it is from the food itself or through some added ingredients, the food that you buy should contain adequate vitamins and minerals.
How Much to Feed Your Rottweiler By Age
How much to feed your dog largely depends on its size and activity level. Just like in humans, even in dogs, the calorie intake is affected by how many calories they burn each day.
- Puppy – Puppies come from their mother’s womb, where they had the luxury of eating whenever they were hungry. In order to mimic this, it is important for you to start learning your pup’s eating patterns and nutritional needs. As far as quantities go, that depends on what exactly you feed your pup. Puppies that eat foods with high nutritional value should be eating significantly lesser than those eating foods with low nutritional values.
- Adult – Rottweiler dogs are prone to weight gain, and therefore, as they get older it is important to make sure that they aren’t eating too much. Therefore, when it comes to adult Rottweilers, it is best to feed them with foods high in nutritional value twice a day. This way you ensure that they get the required nutrients to remain healthy. That too without overstuffing them and causing them to gain weight.
Pro Tip: Keep your Rottweiler exercising to ensure that they stay slim and their muscles stay strong.
- Senior – Just like any other dog breed, there is one main focus on senior Rottweilers, their weight. Whether it be weight gain or weight loss, senior dogs often have an unhealthy weight. It is important to take note of this and to buy the dog food that keeps your dog healthy with balanced weight.
Pro Tip: Finding the food with good fats provides your dog with more energy and keeps them going even in their later years by helping you manage their weight.
Rottweiler Food Allergies and Food Related Issues
Making sure that your dog’s diet is healthy comes down to two main points, what to feed them and what not to feed them. Both of these are equally important because they will either help keep your dog healthy or keep them from getting sick in the first place.
- Allergies – As a general rule, dogs are very susceptible to food allergies. However, Rottweilers are even more susceptible to this than most other breeds and it is important to keep this in mind when introducing your dog to new foods. Most brands will carry a “limited ingredients” line in order to allow you to feed your dog food with less worry, but either way, your dog’s potential allergies are something to keep in mind.
- Cancer – Rottweiler dogs are likely to develop cancer. While this can be managed to some extent through your dog’s diet, it can’t be totally avoided. The best way to keep your dog safe is by avoiding foods with artificial ingredients or preservatives. These ingredients cause a greater risk of cancer in the long run unless properly digested. Another good way to avoid cancer is by feeding your dog foods rich in antioxidants. That’s because antioxidants strengthen your dog’s immune system, making them stronger and healthier, and less likely to develop the disease.
In conclusion, Rottweiler dogs are fierce, friendly, bubbly, strong and large. They are probably one of the most versatile breeds out there. So often choosing the right food for them will depend on its personal preference and taste. Rottweilers are true carnivores and need to be fed that way. However, there are a number of things that you must consider for all Rottweilers out there. Whether it is finding a protein-rich food to keep your dog strong or a food that is rich in fat to keep your pet’s energy levels up.