Best Dog Food For Rottweilers
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Rottweilers are a very unique breed that can be used in many ways. While they have a reputation for being fierce guard dogs, they often make great family pets as well.
No matter which task you assign to your dog, the only way it would be able to perform well is if it is fed the right food. In fact, when dog owners complain of their dogs being sick, lazy or even just acting strange, these problems can be fixed by simply changing the dog’s diet. Therefore, it’s important to always feed your dog with the food that’s the best for them.
Quick Look At Our Picks For Best Dog Food For Rottweilers:
IMAGE PRODUCT VIEW LATEST PRICE → VIEW LATEST PRICE → VIEW LATEST PRICE → VIEW LATEST PRICE → VIEW LATEST PRICE →
- 1 Key Considerations When Buying Your Rottweiler Food
- 2 How To Choose The Best Dog Food For Rottweilers?
- 3 Best Rated Dog Food For Rottweilers Reviewed
- 4 Rottweiler Dietary Needs
- 5 Nutritional Requirements
- 6 How Much To Feed Your Rottweiler By Age?
- 7 Rottweiler Food Allergies And Food Related Issues
- 8 Final Thoughts
Key Considerations When Buying Your Rottweiler Food
All dogs have the same basic nutritional needs for protein, fat, and nutrients. What you may not realize, however, is that dogs of different sizes have different needs when it comes to the ratio of those nutrients.
Rottweilers dogs also need more calories than smaller dogs, but fewer per pound of body weight.
Here are some of the top things to look for in a Rottweiler dog food:
- High-Quality Protein. Protein is the most important nutrient for any dog, but it is particularly important for Rottweilers dogs to maintain lean muscle mass. Look for premium animal sources for protein.
- Moderate Fat. Fat provides your dog with a concentrated source of energy as well as essential fatty acids for healthy skin and coat, but you want to keep the content moderate to avoid feeding your dog so many calories that he becomes obese.
- Joint Support. Rottweilers dogs have a higher risk for bone and joint problems than smaller breeds, so look for a recipe that contains joint-supporting nutrients like glucosamine and chondroitin.
- Digestibility. Many large breed dogs have sensitive stomachs, so you want to make sure that the recipe you choose is made with digestible ingredients and free from low-quality fillers and artificial additives that could upset its stomach.
Keeping all of these things in mind, you’re now ready to learn how to choose the best dog food for Rottweiler dogs. Here’s what you need to know:
How To Choose The Best Dog Food For Rottweilers?
The best place to start when looking for the best dog food for Rottweilerss is a high-quality diet formulated for large-breed dogs. This will help ensure that your dog gets the protein it needs to build healthy muscle without so much fat that it becomes overweight or obese.
In terms of specific nutritional needs, your dog requires at least 18% crude protein, 5% crude fat, and no more than 5% fiber in its diet. That is the bare minimum, however, so keep that in mind.
When it comes to protein and fat, your dog will be able to digest animal-based ingredients better than plant-based ingredients.
Meat, poultry, and fish are excellent sources of protein for dogs, and healthy fats include things like chicken fat and salmon oil. Your dog can digest certain carbohydrates as well like whole grains, starchy vegetables, beans, and legumes, but protein should be the star of its diet.
In addition to protein, fat, and digestible carbohydrates, your large breed dog can benefit from certain supplements.
Probiotics, for example, help to ensure smooth and regular digestion while chelated minerals provide a biologically valuable source of key nutrients. Glucosamine and chondroitin are also important for large-breed dogs to support their bone and joint health.
Keep reading to see our top 5 recommendations for the best dog food for large breeds.
Best Rated Dog Food For Rottweilers Reviewed
Figuring out what food is best for your dog requires a series of trial and error. However, it isn’t fair to make your dog suffer for the mistakes that you make. Therefore, we have compiled a list of products that we recommend you try. These products are for all types of Rottweilers to ensure its health and happiness.
Rottweiler Dietary Needs
Rottweiler dogs are prone to weight gain, and thus need to be fed in accordance with their meal plan. That is very important in order to keep them in shape. Moreover, make sure that your Rottweiler dog gets tons of exercise to stay healthy. However, in order to do this, you need to make sure that your Rottweiler is always full of energy. You can do that by giving them a diet rich in protein and fat. That’s because these two substances help them build muscle mass and provides them with energy.
It’s not so hard to keep your dog healthy and happy. All you need to do is make sure that they are getting all the nutrients that they need to remain healthy.
- Protein – Rottweilers are big dogs with strong and lean muscles that require lots of meat to fulfill their nutritional requirement. That’s because they require a lot of protein in order to maintain their body types. Therefore, your Rottweiler’s diet should contain at least 22 percent protein in order to ensure that their nutritional requirements are met. Also, providing them with the nutrients that they need to maintain their health is the simplest way to keep them healthy. So always check for the list of ingredients to ensure that your dog is fed with food rich in protein. While checking the ingredients, ensure that the first one is meat or a source of protein.
- Carbs – Carbs are also an important part of your Rottweilers diet, as it provides your dog with nutrients like potassium. It also keeps the dog full even after meal time. However, it is important to make sure that the food doesn’t have more carbohydrates than meat. That is to ensure that your dog is not gobbling up useless fillers that don’t provide it with the necessary health benefits.
- Fat – When it comes to fat, there is one very important thing that you should be looking out for, and that is the type of fat. Make sure that your dog’s food specifies the type of fat that is used in the food as opposed to simply stating “animal fat.” This will ensure that your dog is not only eating healthy fats but also eating the type of fats that will provide them with the nutrients and health benefits that they need to stay alert and energized. Rottweilers should ideally be consuming a diet with a minimum of 12 percent fat.
- Vitamins and Minerals – Just ensuring that your dog is full doesn’t get you anything. So it’s pointless to feed them with food that isn’t actually good for them. Not to mention that dogs require adequate vitamins and minerals in order to stay healthy. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the percentages of vitamins and minerals in the dog food. Whether it is from the food itself or through some added ingredients, the food that you buy should contain adequate vitamins and minerals.
How Much To Feed Your Rottweiler By Age?
How much to feed your dog largely depends on its size and activity level. Just like in humans, even in dogs, the calorie intake is affected by how many calories they burn each day.
- Puppy – Puppies come from their mother’s womb, where they had the luxury of eating whenever they were hungry. In order to mimic this, it is important for you to start learning your pup’s eating patterns and nutritional needs. As far as quantities go, that depends on what exactly you feed your pup. Puppies that eat foods with high nutritional value should be eating significantly lesser than those eating foods with low nutritional values.
- Adult – Rottweiler dogs are prone to weight gain, and therefore, as they get older it is important to make sure that they aren’t eating too much. Therefore, when it comes to adult Rottweilers, it is best to feed them with foods high in nutritional value twice a day. This way you ensure that they get the required nutrients to remain healthy. That too without overstuffing them and causing them to gain weight.
Pro Tip: Keep your Rottweiler exercising to ensure that they stay slim and their muscles stay strong.
- Senior – Just like any other dog breed, there is one main focus on senior Rottweilers, their weight. Whether it be weight gain or weight loss, senior dogs often have an unhealthy weight. It is important to take note of this and to buy the dog food that keeps your dog healthy with balanced weight.
Pro Tip: Finding the food with good fats provides your dog with more energy and keeps them going even in their later years by helping you manage their weight.
Rottweiler Food Allergies And Food Related Issues
Making sure that your dog’s diet is healthy comes down to two main points, what to feed them and what not to feed them. Both of these are equally important because they will either help keep your dog healthy or keep them from getting sick in the first place.
- Allergies – As a general rule, dogs are very susceptible to food allergies. However, Rottweilers are even more susceptible to this than most other breeds and it is important to keep this in mind when introducing your dog to new foods. Most brands will carry a “limited ingredients” line in order to allow you to feed your dog food with less worry, but either way, your dog’s potential allergies are something to keep in mind.
- Cancer – Rottweiler dogs are likely to develop cancer. While this can be managed to some extent through your dog’s diet, it can’t be totally avoided. The best way to keep your dog safe is by avoiding foods with artificial ingredients or preservatives. These ingredients cause a greater risk of cancer in the long run unless properly digested. Another good way to avoid cancer is by feeding your dog foods rich in antioxidants. That’s because antioxidants strengthen your dog’s immune system, making them stronger and healthier, and less likely to develop the disease.
In conclusion, Rottweiler dogs are fierce, friendly, bubbly, strong and large. They are probably one of the most versatile breeds out there. So often choosing the right food for them will depend on its personal preference and taste. Rottweilers are true carnivores and need to be fed that way. However, there are a number of things that you must consider for all Rottweilers out there. Whether it is finding a protein-rich food to keep your dog strong or a food that is rich in fat to keep your pet’s energy levels up.