Best Dog Food For Weimaraners
Bred in the 19th century in Germany, Weimaraners are large strong dogs, that were used to hunt animals. As the times changed, so did the purpose of these dogs. Today these animals serve as the perfect house pet for large and active families.
Weimaraner dogs naturally have a very high energy level, are extremely active and have a natural instinct to hunt. These dogs are extremely versatile and as their nature is quite wild and free, they do well with high obedience training.
- 1 Our criteria
- 2 What to look for when choosing the best dog foods for Weimaraners
- 3 Top 5 Best Rated Dog Food for Weimaraners Reviewed
- 4 What Kind of Diet Should You Feed Your Weimaraner?
- 5 Probiotics and prebiotics
- 6 How Much to Feed Your Weimaraner by Age
- 7 Weimaraner Food Allergies and Food Related Health Issues
- 8 Best Dog Food for Weimaraners: Summed Up
We try to follow the recommendations of the World Small Animal Veterinary Association when selecting the best dog foods for Weimaraners.
We look for foods that meet the following criteria as much as possible:
- Foods that are AAFCO-approved, preferably with food trials.
- Nutritional research and testing is paramount.
- We prefer dog foods that are formulated by staffs of veterinary nutritionists.
- Good quality control is essential.
- A food’s nutrition is more important than ingredients that sound appealing to a dog’s owner. Marketing should not be the deciding factor in the food you buy for your dog.
We also take into consideration the recent warning from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration about a possible link between grain free dog foods and dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs. This investigation is ongoing. It has now been expanded to include exotic meats used in dog foods.
Quick Look At Our Top Picks For Best Dog Food For Weimaraners:
- Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- AvoDerm Natural Dog Food
- Merrick Grain Free Healthy Weight Recipe
- Orijen Senior Dry Dog Food
- Fromm Family Foods Gold Nutritionals Dog Food
Image Product Features CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE CHECK PRICE
What to look for when choosing the best dog foods for Weimaraners
We recommend looking for the following when choosing the best dog foods for Weimaraners:
- Look for a good quality kibble that is grain-inclusive
- Choose a food with a fat percentage between 11 and 17 percent
- Most dog foods have a fiber percentage between 3 and 6 percent; this is appropriate for most dogs
- Feed a grain-inclusive dog food unless your veterinarian recommends a different food for a diagnosed health problem
If your dog has a health problem, please talk to your veterinarian and take his or her advice about what to feed your dog.
There are cases where your veterinarian might recommend a grain free dog food if your dog has a food allergy or food sensitivity, or another health problem that makes it difficult for him to eat a food with grains. But do, please, talk to your veterinarian.
Top 5 Best Rated Dog Food for Weimaraners Reviewed
The best dog foods for Weimaraner dogs will be made with healthy, high-quality ingredients in a calorie- and nutrient-dense formula that is easy to digest.
Below we’ve reviewed 5 of our top choices for the best Weimaraner dog food overall and for dogs and puppies with specific needs:
This Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food includes real deboned buffalo, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, turkey meal, and salmon meal. This recipe includes Glucosamine and Chondroitin in order to promote healthy hips, joint, and bines.
This food features omega 3 and omega 6, promoting a healthy coat and skin for your dog.
Additionally, this dog food is completely grain and gluten-free in order to make digestion and absorption easier on your dog. Plus, this meal contains American vegetables and meat, providing you with the comfort that your dog’s food is of high quality.
This AvoDerm Natural Dog Food for Rotational Feeding, Food Intolerance and Sensitivities features a great source of protein, nutrition, and carbohydrates while remaining a grain free and limited ingredient recipe.
This blend includes avocados, providing your dog with healthy fats and nutrients for a clear coat and skin.
IThis dog food comes in multiple flavors, but the standard recipe allows you to switch between the recipes without any worry about your dog’s digestion or response.
Finally, this mix is made with real duck, which serves as a great protein source while still remaining sensitive and easy to absorb.
This Merrick Grain Free Healthy Weight Recipe includes deboned beef, chicken meal, potatoes, peas, and sweet potatoes. This blend is made with optimal protein and fiber without adding extra calories in order to ensure weight loss while still maintaining healthy nutrition.
Additionally, this dog food doesn’t have any grains or gluten, making absorption and digestion easier for your dog. Moreover, this food features omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids in order to maintain a healthy coat and skin. Finally, this dog food includes Glucosamine and Chondroitin, ensuring healthy bones, hips and joints in your dog.
This Orijen Senior Dry Dog Food features 11 pounds of animal ingredients, ensuring you that your dog is getting all the nutrients and minerals that they need. This blend features raw, dried and fresh ingredients, in order to ensure quality above quantity.
Additionally, this food is a limited ingredient blend, making sure that your dog doesn’t react badly to any of the ingredients featured in it.
This mix is grain free in order to make digestion and absorption easier for your dog. Finally, this blend contains pieces of dried liver in order to ensure that your dog loves the taste of this food.
This Fromm Family Foods Gold Nutritionals Dog Food features select proteins. These proteins ensure that your puppy gets the nutrients that they need in order to continue growing at a healthy rate. Moreover, this blend includes probiotics in order to improve your dog’s digestive system and absorption.
Furthermore, this mix is made with salmon oil, providing yours dog with the fatty acids they need to have clear skin and a full coat. Finally, this dog food is made with select ingredients in order to ensure that your dog will enjoy the taste of this food.
What Kind of Diet Should You Feed Your Weimaraner?
Most Weimaraner should be able to eat a normal diet for dogs. Most dogs require similar nutrients in their diet.
While these dogs don’t have any specific nutritional requirements, it is still important to ensure that they are appropriately looked after.
So you must ensure that the best dog food that you feed them contains the highest level nutrients that you can afford.
Specifically, make sure to look out for protein, fat, carbs, vitamins and minerals.
- Protein –While dogs are not obligate carnivores, like cats, they still require plenty of protein in their daily diet, and meat protein is preferable to plant protein.Your adult dog needs a minimum of 18 percent protein for daily maintenance. Pregnant/nursing dogs and puppies need a minimum of 22 percent protein. Most dog foods today have higher protein percentages than these figures. This doesn’t mean that your dog needs enormous protein percentages.
- Fat –Fat is essential to your dog’s diet. It provides energy; fatty acids that are essential for your dog’s skin, coat, and for the development of organs; and they make food taste more appealing to your dog.If you’re not sure about the taste, try feeding your dog a food with reduced fat and you’ll likely find out how much he appreciates the taste of fat in his food. Adult dogs need a minimum of 5 percent fat in their diet. Pregnant/nursing dogs and puppies need at least 8 percent fat per day. Practically all dog foods have much higher fat percentages than these figures.
- Carbs –Contrary to popular belief, carbohydrates are not filler ingredients or empty calories. Carbs often get a bad reputation because humans try to avoid them but they are good for your dog.They provide your dog with energy, fiber, and nutrients. Simple sugars and starches keep your dog’s brain functioning.Fiber helps regulate your dog’s gastrointestinal system. And complex carbohydrates help keep your dog’s glucose levels steady and avoid blood sugar spikes.They keep your dog from feeling hungry all the time.
- Vitamins and Minerals – Vitamins and minerals are a vital part of a dog’s diet. They help the dog function correctly and stay healthy. It even creates the building blocks for your dog’s body. However, not all foods include vitamins and minerals, thereby making it your job to look out for the foods that do.
Probiotics and prebiotics
Your Weimaraner usually needs probiotics and prebiotics for good digestion.
Prebiotics are “good” bacteria that help your dog’s gastrointestinal system develop the kind of organisms necessary to digest food. Prebiotics are a dietary fiber.You will often see them added to dog foods in the form of chicory or inulin.
Probiotics are living microorganisms are are added to dog foods (sometimes after cooking) so they can “colonize” your dog’s digestive system with millions of good bacteria.
When they are established in your dog’s intestinal tract, they can improve your dog’s digestion.
It’s estimated that 70 percent of your dog’s immune system is located in his gastrointestinal system so prebiotics and probiotics can play an important role in your dog’s health.
How Much to Feed Your Weimaraner by Age
When it comes to dog feedings, a lot of owners free feed their animals. This means not feeding according to a particular schedule, but rather letting your dogs make the choice and eat whatever they want, and whenever they want. However, Weimaraners do better when fed on schedules whether it is to maintain a healthy weight, high energy levels, or to maintain their wild and hunting personalities.
- Adult – Adult Weimaraners should be fed twice a day and be given half an hour to finish their food. If after half an hour they haven’t finished eating, remove the rest.
- Puppy – A puppy, on the other hand, should be fed three times a day for the first year of their life. That is to provide them with the excess nutrients that they need in order to grow. After a year, you can switch your puppy over to an adult’s diet plan.
- Senior – All senior dogs run the same risk, no matter the breed. As dogs get older their metabolisms change, and so their diets need to start changing too. Therefore, depending on their genetics, you must adjust your dog’s calorie intake, exercise level, and previous meal plan.
Weimaraner Food Allergies and Food Related Health Issues
Keeping your dog healthy goes beyond feeding them with the right nutrients. That’s because it also means feeding them healthy foods and superfoods, as well as making sure to avoid foods that may cause harm.
- Bloat – Just like many other dogs, Weimaraner dogs also suffer from bloating. Bloating is when a dog begins to choke on the air that they’ve gulped down while eating. In order to avoid this, simply make sure that your dog’s food bowl is elevated, keeping them from having to bend down to eat. Also, make sure that they’re never starving for food so that they don’t eat too fast.
- HOD – HOD is a condition which causes painful swelling in your Weimaraner puppy’s leg bones. This condition comes as a result of growing too fast. Therefore, in order to avoid this many owners feed their puppies large breed dog food because it has fewer calories.
Best Dog Food for Weimaraners: Summed Up
Weimaraners are natural, wild hunters, and require a lot of discipline in order to fit into the more domesticated world.
These dogs still remain hyperactive and energetic and therefore, require a dog food that will fit this lifestyle.
Weimaraners are prone to multiple illnesses, including a particularly rare and dangerous one called bloat. These two things together call for a very specific range of food that is ideal for a Weimaraner.