Foods that Will Make Dogs Sick

Dog Health November 24, 2023
Foods that Will Make Dogs Sick
Avatar photo



Foods that Will Make Dogs Sick

This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More

Foods that Will Make Dogs Sick

Like infants, pups tend to use their mouths to explore the world and get into everything. Because of this, it is crucial that you are aware of which foods and products you should avoid sharing.

Be sure to check before giving in if you find yourself wondering, “What human food will make my dog sick?” while attempting to ignore your pet’s pleading face.

While you can give your dog some human food, some foods can be extremely harmful to animals. Continue reading to find out more about some foods that can aggravate dogs.

What Foods will Make Dogs Sick?

Many foods and food additives that are safe for human consumption can have serious and negative health effects when consumed by dogs. The list below outlines 18 foods and items that are poisonous to dogs.  Just remember that this is not a complete list. 

  1. Chocolate: Theobromine, which is toxic to dogs and can cause symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, and an accelerated heart rate, is present in chocolate.
  2. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs, which may result in nausea, thirsty pangs, a loss of appetite, and lethargic behavior.
  3. Garlic and Onions: Both onions and garlic contain elements that can harm a dog’s red blood cells and cause anemia. Weakness, pale gums, and an elevated heart rate are possible symptoms.
  4. Avocado has a substance called persin that can upset a dog’s stomach. The pit presents a choking risk, and its high fat content raises the possibility of pancreatitis.
  5. Xylitol is a sugar alternative that is present in a lot of candies, gums, and baked goods. Ingesting xylitol can harm a dog’s liver and result in a dangerous drop in blood sugar levels.
  6. Caffeine: Energy drinks, some foods, coffee, tea, and other beverages all contain caffeine. The central nervous system of dogs is susceptible to caffeine’s effects, which can cause agitation, rapid breathing, palpitations, tremors, and seizures.
  7. Alcohol: Dogs should never drink alcohol because it can seriously poison them, resulting in confusion, vomiting, diarrhea, problems with coordination, and even respiratory failure.
  8. Macadamia Nuts: Consumption of macadamia nuts can result in weakness, tremors, vomiting, elevated body temperature, and a loss of coordination in dogs.
  9. Yeast and Raw Dough: Yeast fermentation and stomach expansion from raw dough can result in alcohol poisoning in dogs.
  10. Salt: Just like in humans, too much salt in a dog’s diet can cause dehydration or sodium ion poisoning, which can cause tremors, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, and death. Do not share any of your salty snacks with dogs.
  11. Citrus: The stems, leaves, peels, fruit, and seeds of citrus plants contain varying amounts of citric acid and essential oils that, if consumed in large quantities, can irritate the stomach and possibly even cause central nervous system depression. Small doses, like eating the fruit, are unlikely to cause anything more than a minor stomach ache.
  12. Corn on the Cob: While corn on the cob is not poisonous to your dog, it is still something you should keep your dog away from. Corn cobs are not digestible in a dog’s intestines, so the cob will cause a blockage that might need to be surgically removed, according to veterinarians.
  13. Dairy Products: Milk, cheese, and other dairy products can cause digestive problems in some dogs who are lactose intolerant, such as diarrhea and an upset stomach.
  14. Alcohol: Consuming alcoholic beverages and food items that contain alcohol can result in coma, death, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, breathing difficulties, tremors, and even death. Under no circumstances should your pup be given any alcohol.
  15. Vitamins and Medication: Human vitamins and medications are stored in containers that their devoted owners have handled numerous times. Stealing the owner-scented bottles and chewing them can result in an overdose of medications or vitamins that can be harmless or deadly.
  16. Fried and Fatty Foods: Foods that are fried or excessively fatty, such as fried chicken, are extremely toxic to dogs. If they eat enough, such foods can cause inflammation of the pancreas, causing that organ to produce enzymes that can severely damage your pup’s intestines.
  17. Marijuana: As laws change and marijuana use becomes more accepted in society, we are seeing an increasing number of dogs who have consumed enough to become ill. Owners are reluctant to share this information with us, which can delay providing these patients with the best care.
  18. Garbage: Usually, this is the result of a misbehaving dog and poor garbage management. This usually does not pose a serious threat beyond occasional diarrhea and an upset stomach. However, there is a real risk for more serious gastroenteritis and even severe pancreatitis, which can be very serious if there are rotting, fatty foods present.

What Do I Do If My Dog Eats Something That Can Make Him Sick?

Keeping these foods out of your dog’s reach is the best way to make sure your pup does not eat anything risky.

It is best to not leave these foods on counters or tables, in purses, or anywhere else where in reach of your dog.

Remember that the concentrations of these toxic substances vary between products. For example, the amount of chocolate in a Snickers bar and a Ghirardelli bar differ, so the toxic doses of these two bars would also differ.

Call the pet poison hotline or immediately consult your veterinarian if you suspect your dog has consumed something poisonous. It is best to call to get advice from professionals on how to care for your pup, even if the amount they ingested is in question or doesn’t seem like enough to do harm.

Whatever the food or item your dog was exposed to could have varying symptoms and will affect the course of treatment. 

You should never treat or medicate a dog unless a licensed veterinarian advises you to do so.

When Should I Take My Dog to The Vet?

Dogs are inquisitive creatures that use their mouths and noses to explore their surroundings. Because of this, they do get themselves in trouble at times.

 If your dog consumes something poisonous, it is important to recognize warning signs so that you can provide quick and quality care..

Different symptoms of food poisoning may appear depending on what your dog ingested and how much. However, gastrointestinal or neurological symptoms are frequently present in dogs who have eaten something toxic.

Watch out for these warning signs:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Bloody poop
  • Seizures
  • Blood in the urine
  • Tremors
  • Hyperactivity
  • Lethargy
  • Unsteadiness while walking or standing
  • Lack of coordination
  • Bruising or bleeding

Get your dog to a veterinarian’s office or an emergency veterinary clinic right away if you see any of these signs.

Final Thoughts

Dogs can be opportunistic when it comes to tracking down treats, but not all human foods and beverages are safe for them to consume. Your best course of action is to reach for the dog treats rather than a human food unless you are absolutely certain that it is safe for your dog.

Avatar photo

Amy Towry is a Certified NAVC Pet Nutritionist and pet lover. She is the proud owner of two rescue cats and a rescue dog and her love for animals has led her to a successful career as a freelance writer specializing in pet care, nutrition, and product reviews.
Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *