Best Igloo Dog Houses
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Igloo dog houses offer your dog shelter from anything Mother Nature throws out, but are they better than standard doghouses? Igloo dog houses share some similarities in that they are designed to keep your dog safe and warm in the winter months.
Igloo dog houses rounded dome shape and extended tunnel opening allows a dog to stay warm by using his own body heat. They can also give your dog a sense of pride, ownership and a place to call home.
Keep reading to find out more about Igloo dog houses and which ones we recommend.
Compare the Best Igloo Dog Houses
1. Petmate Indigo Dog House All-Weather Protection
Best for Large Dogs
2. Petmate Husky Dog House
Best Heavy Duty
3. BestPet Insulated Plastic Dog House
Best for Small Dogs
4. Petmate Aspen Pet Outdoor Dog House
30.5"D x 37.5"W x 22.8"H
33.2"D x 33.5"W x 26"H
26.2"D x 27.9"W x 27.5"H
165"D x 265"W x 18"H
Product Reviews: The 4 Best Igloo Dog Houses
Petmate Indigo Dog House All-Weather Protection
- Brand: Petmate
- Product Dimensions: 30.5"D x 37.5"W x 22.8"H
- Material: Blend
- Color: TAUPE/BLACK
- Style: Medium
- Made from recycled materials
- Dome provides protection from weather
- Roof ventilation provides airflow
- Comes in 3 sizes
- May not be heavy duty enough
- Smaller than expected inside
- Destructive dogs may destroy quickly
Indigo Dog House is a sturdy and spacious shelter designed to provide comfort for pets year-round. The insulated dog house features a heavy-duty construction that keeps pets cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The outdoor dog house's extended, offset doorway helps protect pets inside from wind and rain. To promote air flow, the vented top of the dog igloo circulates fresh air inside. The raised floors are equipped with side moats that are designed to drain off moisture and keep floors dry.
Petmate Husky Dog House
- Brand: Petmate
- Product Dimensions: 33.2"D x 33.5"W x 26"H
- Material: Foam
- Color: Grey
- Style: Traditional
- Made with leak-proof heavy-duty structural foam
- The geometrical dome shape provides more room
- Has an elevated floor & rear ventilation for airflow
- Smaller than expected
- Complaints of water getting in
- Some dogs do not like side door
The Petmate Husky Dog House provides the ultimate outdoor protection for your dog. Rain, wind, sleet and snow cant take down this well crafted and innovative outdoor dog house. The offset entry shields your pet from the elements and has been engineered for superior load strength when compared to traditional square dog houses. The heavy-duty structural foam construction can be assembled quickly and easily.
BestPet Insulated Plastic Dog House
- Brand: BestPet
- Product Dimensions: 26.2"D x 27.9"W x 27.5"H
- Material: Plastic
- Color: White
- Style: Box
- Fastened with snaps and screws to ensure the stability
- Double air vents ensures the circulation of fresh air
- Sealed connection and elevated floor to protect from rain
- Detachable roof for easy access
- May need to order a size up for bigger dogs
- Not as sturdy as expected
- Needs more insulation
This plastic dog house is great for backyard, patio, deck, etc. Double air vents ensures the circulation of fresh air, and keeps your dog cool in summer and is made of heat-insulating materials to keep your pup warmer if in winter. The Bestpet dog house is fastened with snaps and screws to ensure the stability of the overall structure. A 160-pound adult can easily sit on the roof without crushing the house. The sealed connection and elevated floor will protect your dog from rain and the detachable roof, is very convenient for cleaning the inside.
Petmate Aspen Pet Outdoor Dog House
- Brand: Petmate
- Product Dimensions: 165"D x 265"W x 18"H
- Material: Blend
- Color: Multi
- Style: Rustic
- The extended roof guard rim & raised floor keeps it dry
- Rear air ventilations system for airflow
- Assembles with quick snap latches, no tools necessary
- Top and bottom connectivity mismatched
- Not water proof and leaks
- Size can be deceiving
The Petmate Petbarn provides a safe and comfortable outdoor home for your dog. Featuring an all-plastic construction, the Petbarn prevents fleas and stays stronger for longer. The Petbarn's rear air ventilation prevents heat and odor to keep pets comfortable throughout the year. With an extended roof guard rim and raised floor, it diverts rain and snow from the entrance to keep your pup dry no matter the weather. The Barn's quick-snap latches provide easy assembly and the plastic material is easy to clean.
Igloo Dog House vs. Wood Dog House
Igloo doghouses are usually created for outdoor use and are better insulated. Most are designed to protect your dog against the rain, sleet, wind, snow, and other elements and the rounded igloo shape is designed to prevent build up of rain and snow on the roof. If you live in an environment with heavy rain or unusually cold temperatures then an igloo dog house might be a better choice for your dog. Also, some igloo dog houses are made to protect against hot temperatures.
A wooden doghouse can work well in moderate weather conditions or if your dog stays indoors when its cold. However, a wooden dog house with insulation installed may be warmer than an igloo dog house.
In either case, when it comes to extreme weather conditions, an insulated doghouse is the best choice. You can insulate your wooden doghouse or igloo style dog house but plastic structures are better suited for rainy or snowy conditions.
Both types require the appropriate size for your dog and some sort of warm bedding placed inside. You may also want to create a door or flap for the entrance to keep the inside warm and dry.
Where to Put an Igloo Dog House
Place your igloo dog house in an area that shelters it rain, flooding and wind if possible. You can always face the opening toward a fence, wall or structure to keep elements from blowing inside the dog house.
You may also want to place your igloo dog house so that the opening faces the direction of the most sunlight which is usually south or east. If the ground typically freezes during the winter, you may want to consider raising the dog house a few inches off the ground by placing it on top of concrete blocks or a slab of cement.
How to Clean an Igloo Dog House
Before cleaning you will want to remove all the bedding, toys and any other items from the igloo before cleaning. Then sweep the inside out or use a shop-vac to remove dirt, hair or waste your dog leaves behind.
- Once the inside is all cleaned out, you can hose it inside and outside.
- Use disinfectant cleaner and spray it all over the entire igloo inside and out to kill bacteria, germs and parasites.
- Scrub the igloo thoroughly with a scrub brush to remove all the dirt, stains from the walls and floor of the dog house. Be sure to pay special attention to the corners and crevice’s.
- Rinse the igloo dog house off well using a high power hose. The harder the water pressure the more dirt you can remove.
- After you have scrubbed and rinsed the igloo dog house, you can put it in a sunny location to dry. You will want it to be thoroughly dried before putting any bedding back inside.
How to Insulate an Igloo Dog House
Igloo dog houses are naturally insulated when they are constructed using the hard foam. By raising it up onto a pallet, bricks or concrete blocks you can insulate it more and keep the cold from seeping in from the ground underneath.
If you feel your dog house needs more insulation then a foam product can help by cutting a series of foam panels that match the inside walls, ceiling, and floor of the dog house. Polystyrene foam or Styrofoam are the best available insulating materials for dog houses because it is cheap, simple to use and readily available. You can attach them with glue or staples then cover each panel with a piece of wood or durable plastic in the same size. They are available in different thicknesses.
Another way to keep your pup warm is to insulate the igloo with hay or straw. Not only do they provide your dog with a soft place to sleep but they can help keep heat in and cold out. If your dog also uses a blanket, choose a lightweight one, and place it on top of the hay but make sure it doesn’t get damp.
Bedding also provides insulation but fabric bedding, such as blankets, quilts and towels, are not always recommended, especially in snowy terrains. Dogs tend to track snow into their dog houses, which can turn a warm blanket into a cold and wet mess.
Installing a doggy door on your igloo to allow your dog to go in and out at will, but stabilize temperatures by keeping the cold out. If your igloo dog house doesn’t already come equipped with one you can purchase doggy door kits at most pet and home improvement stores.
Last but not least you can purchase a dog house heater from your local pet store, or even use heat pads to raise the temperature inside the igloo. This can be very helpful at night when temperatures drop.
Dog igloos are some of the most popular style of dog houses on the market today. Not only are they uniquely shaped, well-insulated but they look good in any backyard. Doghouses are important for keeping your dog warm in the cold, dry in the rain, and cool in the heat.