Oatmeal Bath For Dogs
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Oatmeal Bath for Dogs
Have you ever had really itchy skin? Maybe you have had a case of poison ivy or poison oak and someone told you to take an oatmeal bath. Do you recall how the oatmeal helped soothe your skin and made the itching go away, at least temporarily? An oatmeal bath for dogs does the same thing for your canine companion.
Learn more about oatmeal baths for dogs in our brief guide. We’ll help you take the itch out of your dog’s skin.
What is an oatmeal bath?
Lots of dogs have problems with itchy skin. It can be due to dry skin during the winter months when home heating systems take moisture out of the air. Most of us experience some dry skin problems in winter. It’s common for people to apply lotion to their skin during winter months when there is less humidity.
Some dogs have itchy skin because of different kinds of allergies (flea bites; environmental causes such as grass, pollen, dirt; or foods). Or, your dog could be itchy because he had an encounter with parasites such as mites https://www.rock-hill.carolinavet.com/site/blog/2021/02/28/dog-itching-skin-problems.
Whatever the cause, most dogs will have some itching or dry skin at some time in their life, even if it’s only temporary.
If the itching or dry skin seems to be getting out of control, many people give their dogs an oatmeal bath.
Oatmeal has plenty of health benefits as a food. As a bath ingredient, it acts as an anti-inflammatory https://www.greensboroncvet.com/site/friendly-animal-clinic-blog/2020/11/26/dog-oatmeal-bath. It protects the skin and helps soothe irritation and itching. The bath provides a protective layer that locks moisture into your dog’s skin. This slows the loss of moisture from the skin and prevents dryness and itching.
How do you give your dog an oatmeal bath?
It’s not difficult to give your dog an oatmeal bath.
You can use a good oatmeal shampoo or make your own mixture at home. There are many good oatmeal shampoos for sale. However, it’s not hard to make the mixture. (See below.)
- Once you are ready to bathe your dog, prepare the bathroom and tub. Have the shampoo or mixture ready, a cup, and some towels.
- Run some warm water in the tub. If you are using your own mixture, pour some of it into the tub and stir it in. For most dogs, you can run the water up to your dog’s stomach level.
- Gently put your dog in the tub with the warm water.
- Use a cup to slowly pour some of the oatmeal solution over his body.
- Gently rub some of the oatmeal solution directly over the areas that seem especially itchy or irritated.
- Let your dog soak in the oatmeal solution for about 10 minutes. Massage the oatmeal solution into his coat during this time. (This is the hard part – keeping a dog patient and still for 10 minutes.)
- Use warm water to gently rinse the mixture off your dog.
- Use a towel to dry your dog. Never use a hair dryer since your dog already has dry skin. The dryer will only make the problem worse.
- Brush your dog’s fur.
Your dog will be slippery from the bath and the oatmeal so use caution.
For some dogs, they might not be itchy all over. Perhaps they only have one itchy spot. In this case you can use the oatmeal mixture as a thick paste and put it on that one spot for a few mintues instead of giving your dog a full-body bath. Leave the mixture on the itchy place for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
Where do you find oatmeal shampoos?
As we mentioned, there are lots of good oatmal shampoos and oatmeal treatments you can buy for dogs. You can buy many of them over-the-counter. A few require a prescription from your veterinarian if they contain some medication for serious dermatological problems.
Many of the oatmeal shampoos for sale are actual shampoos instead of soaking treatments. Here are some of the highest-rated oatmeal shampoos from Amazon.com.
Dechra DermAllay Oatmeal Shampoo for Cats and Dogs https://www.amazon.com/Dechra-DermAllay-Oatmeal-Shampoo-Cats/dp/B07N1KK3GH/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Oatmeal+Shampoo+for+Dogs&qid=1644647658&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011%2Cp_36%3A2661612011&rnid=2661611011&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-4
- Mild, soap-free oatmeal shampoo with a light and pleasant apple fragrance that won’t strip your pet’s hair of its natural oils
- Colloidal oatmeal soothes and calms itchy, dry skin, helping your pet feel more comfortable and reducing their urge to scratch
- Essential fatty acids bond moisture to their skin, restoring the skin’s barrier; ceramides moisturize, repair and restore dry, damaged skin
- Formulated to lather and rinse easily. Makes bath time easy.
- Developed for dogs, cats and horses, and made in the USA
Fresh & Soothing Oatmeal Itch Relief Shampoo https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Dental-Soothing-Oatmeal-Shampoo/dp/B07NYKNVJ9/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Oatmeal+Shampoo+for+Dogs&qid=1644647658&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011%2Cp_36%3A2661612011&rnid=2661611011&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-6
- Medicated shampoo
- Soothes dry, itchy skin
- Eliminates flaking, dandruff and scales
Wahl Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs – Oatmeal Formula with Coconut Lime Verbena & 100% Natural Ingredients https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Dog-Pet-Shampoo-Oatmeal/dp/B005CUTWDE/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=Oatmeal+Shampoo+for+Dogs&qid=1644647658&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011%2Cp_36%3A2661612011&rnid=2661611011&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-8
- Made in the USA – This oatmeal formula pet shampoo is pH balanced, alcohol free, paraben free, PEG-80 free and is highly recommended for moisturizing dry skin and providing itch relief
- Oatmeal Formula – This coconut lime verbena scented pet shampoo is great for moisturizing dry skin, cleaning dirty coats, and itch relief. The thick lather rinses off clean and keeps your pet looking and smelling clean
- Less is More – Wahl has a higher concentrate of coconut derived sodding agent, which means you don’t have to use as much as other dog shampoos. A little bit of shampoo goes a long way and provides a rich lather that’s easy to rinse off
John Paul (JP) Pet Oatmeal Shampoo – Grooming for Dogs and Cats, Soothe Sensitive Skin Formula with Aloe for Itchy Dryness for Pets, pH Balanced, Cruelty Free, Paraben Free, Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/John-Paul-Pet-Sensitive-Moisturizes/dp/B0006UZKKO/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=Oatmeal%2BShampoo%2Bfor%2BDogs&qid=1644647658&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011%2Cp_36%3A2661612011&rnid=2661611011&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-9&th=1
- Formulated with Quality Ingredients – Hydrolyzed oat protein, aloe, and chamomile gently cleanse while moisturizing your pet’s fur
- Soothes and Moisturizes – Concentrated botanical formula relieves dryness and itchiness without irritating sensitive skin
- Relaxing Scent – Sweet almond oil conditions fur and leaves a pleasant almond fragrance
- Made in USA – Created from the same all-natural botanical extracts as the Paul Mitchell brand for humans
Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shampoo https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Oatmeal-Essentials-Shampoo-18-Ounce/dp/B004AEWN5W/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Oatmeal%2BShampoo%2Bfor%2BDogs&qid=1644647658&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011%2Cp_36%3A2661612011&rnid=2661611011&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-10&th=1
- Oatmeal shampoo for dogs effectively moisturizes and softens skin
- Ideal for dogs with dry, itchy skin
- Enriched with 100% natural oatmeal extract, aloe vera, and chamomile extract
- Long-lasting Country Apple scent keeps your pet smelling fresh
- Made with natural, pH-balanced, and biodegradable ingredients; contains no alcohol, parabens, or dyes
There are lots of other good oatmeal shampoos. These were simply some of the top-rated brands on Amazon at this time.
How to make homemade oatmeal shampoo
If you would prefer to make our own oatmeal treatment for your dog, you can gather the ingredients and make the mixture in your kitchen. There are probably other recipes but this one is vet-recommended https://www.greensboroncvet.com/site/friendly-animal-clinic-blog/2020/11/26/dog-oatmeal-bath.
You will need:
- A food processor, blender, or coffee grinder.
- Plain, unflavored oatmeal. You can use slow-cooking oats, instant oatmeal, or quick oats. Any of them will work.
- Use 1/3 cup of oatmeal for a small dog.
- Use ½ cup of oatmeal for a large dog.
- A bathtub (obviously).
- Warm water for soaking and bathing your dog. Do not use hot water since it will dry the skin and make any inflammation worse.
Optional: You can also add two tablespoons of olive oil OR avocado oil to the mixture. The oil will boost the moisturizing properties of the oatmeal bath but they are not required.
You can also add 1 cup of high fat milk to the mixture to make it extra creamy. Again, this is not required.
Once you have gathered all of your ingredients, you can mix them together.
- Use your food processor, blender, or the coffee grinder to blend your oats on the highest setting. They should be ground to a fine powder throughout.
- Test the powder by stirring one tablelspoon into a glass of warm water. Are they find enough to absorb the water?
- If the finely ground oats easily absorb the liquid and the water appears milky and feels smooth, the oats have been blended long enough.
- If the water doesn’t look milky, keep grinding the oats to be finer and test them again.
- Repeat the process until the solution is fine and milky. It should feel silky.
When you have reached this point, you are ready to use the mixture for your dog’s oatmeal bath.
Most dogs will experience some itching and/or dry skin at some point during their lives, even if it’s only for a short time. Giving your dog a bath or soak with an oatmeal shampoo for dogs can be the perfect way to help soothe and heal your dog’s skin. Fortunately, it’s easy to find oatmeal shampoo or to make your own. For most dogs, have an occasional bath with oatmeal shampoo will take care of their problem. If your dog has chronic problems with itching or dry skin, talk to your veterinarian.