Best Dog Foods For Beagles
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Beagles are even-tempered dogs that are very loving to have around. They are very energetic and active. If you have got a Beagle as a friend, the next thing on your mind that will need to be considered is what to feed him/her.
To ease the pains of endlessly going through the list of dog foods on your local pet store, we have got some of the best choices you can choose.
- 1 Compare Best Dog Foods For Beagles
- 2 Best Rated Dog Foods For Beagles Reviewed
- 3 Key Considerations When Buying The Best Dog Food For Beagle
- 4 Beagle Dietary Needs
- 5 Nutritional Requirements
- 6 How Much Should You Feed Your Beagle By Age?
- 7 Beagle Food Allergies And Food Related Health Issues
- 8 Final Thoughts
Compare Best Dog Foods For Beagles
1. Orijen 6 Fish Grain-Free Formula Dry Dog Food
BEST FOR SENSITIVE STOMACHS
2. PS for Dogs 100% Hypoallergenic Dog Food
BEST FOR WEIGHT LOSS
3. Wellness Core Natural Reduced Fat Grain Free Dry Dog Food
BEST FOR SENIORS
4. Eukanuba Senior Dry Dog Food
BEST FOR PUPPIES
5. Purina One SmartBlend Natural Healthy Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food
3900 kcal/kg, 445 kcal/cup
Best Rated Dog Foods For Beagles Reviewed
Feeding your Beagle with high nutritious diet should never be negotiated. There is no doubt that he loves to eat without restriction, that does not mean all dog foods will pass his taste bud. That is why any food that you choose for your pooch should be well-considered. Therefore, we have got some top of the line quality foods you can pick for your pet.
Orijen 6 Fish Grain-Free Formula Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 38.0% Min
- Fat: 18.0% Min
- Fiber: 5.0% Max
- Calories: 3900 kcal/kg, 445 kcal/cup
- The best for dogs with allergies
- Good quality food with perfect package
- Made with pure quality ingredients
- Makes skin and coat thicker and healthier
- Way too expensive
- It has a very strong fish odor
Moreover, the blend of fish is further fortified with exotic fruits and vegetables. Notably, both the plants and fish in this mix are sustainably farmed or fished within Canada. This means they arrive fresh to the factory without preservatives and never frozen, which is good for your pup’s health.
In addition, this is a unique formula that is packed with 80% high-quality fish ingredients and 20% vegetables, fresh fruits and botanicals. Thus, this will definitely beat your average dog food in the market. Above all, you can rest assure that your Beagle will be nourished with all essential nutrients needed for complete healthy lifestyle.
PS for Dogs 100% Hypoallergenic Dog Food
- Protein: 29 Min
- Fat: 27 Min
- Fiber: 3 Max
- Calories: 4220 kcal/kg
- Helps stop licking and biting
- Great products for dogs with food allergies
- Puts an end to yeast infections
- Very delicious and many picky pooches love this
- Food bags seem to be too small
- And extremely pricey for a small bag
Also, all ingredients are air-dried to retain greater percent of natural nutrients, as well as enable your pet to enjoy this delicious meaty kibbles. Moreover, this unique recipe is tailored towards preventing yeast on your pooch’s paws. This is so important because yeast is the major cause of paw licking and biting in dogs.
Wellness Core Natural Reduced Fat Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 33.0% Min
- Fat: 12.0% Min
- Fiber: 8.5% Max
- Calories: 360 kcal/cup
- Helps resolve major food and skin allergies
- Helps cut down on excess weight
- Effectively stops digestive issues
- Great product at a great price
- The 4-pound bag is not always available
- A few people say the quality is not as good as advertised
Furthermore, this formula contains 25% less of fat than Wellness Core original recipe. It will definitely help your dog trim down and maintain a healthy weight. Additionally, this recipe is enriched with antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins, and minerals for healthy skin and coat. Also, each bite of this formula promises high-quality protein with no meat by-products, corn, fillers, wheat-gluten or artificial additives. Above all, serving your pup with this protein-rich diet is a great way to help manage his body weight.
Eukanuba Senior Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 27.0% Min
- Fat: 12.0% Min
- Fiber: 3.5% Max
- Calories: 353 kcal/cup
- Keeps senior dogs healthy and lively
- Very affordable
- Very easy on the stomach
- Most seniors like this formula
- Not good for dogs with allergies
- Inconsistent quality control
In addition, it is well blended with fats, carbs, and vitamins to support healthy weight and optimum energy level. It also has antioxidants to boost your pooch’s immune system. Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are also thrown into the mix to promote healthy skin and a glossy coat for your pet. Overall, you dare to delight your senior canine friend with this flavor-filled and nutritious formula.
Purina One SmartBlend Natural Healthy Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food
- Protein: 28.0% Min
- Fat: 17.0% Min
- Fiber: 3.0% Max
- Calories: 397 kcal/cup
- Good products that meets most puppies’ needs
- Most picky puppies love it
- Promotes healthy, shiny coat
- Helps maintain healthy weight
- Seems too expensive
- Poor quality control
Furthermore, it comes considerably loaded with DHA. it is a nutrient usually found in mother’s milk that supports vision and brain development. This formula is rich in antioxidants to boost the immune system of your pup. In addition, it comes with natural sources of glucosamine to ensure healthy and functional joints. To crown it all, this is a perfect blend of balanced nutrients that will bring out the beauty and the best of your jubilant puppy
Key Considerations When Buying The Best Dog Food For Beagle
There are certain factors that must be considered before buying a dog food for your Beagle. Some of them include the following:
- Life Stage – You need to consider the age of your pooch before you decide on a particular type to buy. For instance, young Beagles are usually hyperactive and jubilant. They will need a lot of protein and fat to maintain their energy level. That is why it is always good to go for food prepared for dogs in a specific life stage.
- Ingredients – Ingredients for formulating a dog food matter most when deciding which recipe will be nourishing. Always check the label on a food package to know if the list meets your pet’s nutritional requirements. Note that the number one ingredient should always be any of meat, fish or poultry.
- aloric Density. Most regular dog foods contain 400 to 500 calories per cup, so to help your dog lose weight look for something in the 250 to 350 calorie range.
- Quality Proteins. Protein helps your dog sustain lean muscle mass, so high-protein diets can be helpful for weight loss as long as the protein comes from quality animal sources. Look for a dog food with around 30% protein.
Beagle Dietary Needs
Beagles are very energetic and active most part of their lifetime. It is, therefore, necessary to feed them with the diet that matches their level of activities. Ideally, your pet’s diet should be meat-based. This is because generally, dogs require a lot of protein in their diet.
The protein should be from animal sources and not plant sources. Foods that contain real meat, fish or poultry as the primary ingredients are usually the best for pooches.
Also, Beagles will need digestible fat, since they require energy to burn calories to keep up with their high metabolic rate. Healthy sources of omega-3 fatty acids such as fish oil and flaxseed are essential in this breed’s diet.
Overall, ingredients that serve as sources of probiotics, antioxidants, glucosamine, chondroitin, and amino acids should be in your Beagle’s diet. And the food you serve this your canine friend should be perfect for his weight, growth and energy level.
- Protein – These very important macronutrients for your pet’s overall development and health. Beagles, in particular, need this nutrient in higher percentage because of their active, energetic and smaller stature. That’s why dog foods prepared specifically for the small breed are usually better for Beagles. Always look out for the list of ingredients on the label of dog foods before buying. Ensure they contain premium animal-based proteins from any of real meat, fish or poultry.
- Carbs – Another important part of a complete and balanced diet for your Beagle is digestible carbohydrates. Some healthy sources of carbs include sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and brown rice. Try to keep away grain-based meal from your pet, if he is food allergic. Digestible carbohydrates will go a long way to keep your dog energized and active all day.
- Fats – Fats remain the best source of energy for your active pooches like Beagles. Their metabolism demands a lot of energy burn calories. Therefore foods that have a premium quality fat content of about 15 to 23% are suitable. In addition, for a healthy skin and glossy coat, Beagles will require foods enriched with omega 3 fatty acids. These fatty acids can be derived from fish oil and flaxseed oil.
- Fiber – As noted earlier, Beagles have a very large appetite for food. If their portions are not well managed they get to overeat which often lead to obesity. However, one of the best ways to make your pet beg less for food is by feeding with meals with a good source of fiber. Fibers from healthy sources such as oatmeal or pumpkin are usually considered the most suitable.
- Mineral and Vitamin – Dog foods that contain fresh fruits and vegetables will definitely be rich in vitamins and minerals. Your pet will need antioxidants for healthy joints. Probiotics in the dog’s meal will help in proper bowel movement.
How Much Should You Feed Your Beagle By Age?
- Puppy – There are a lot of peculiarities about this dog breed. One of them is that the puppies are usually more active than their adults. Therefore, they will need more calories to support their increasing growth and development. It is sometimes better to allow them to feed on a freestyle in order to get the required level of energy.
- Adult – On average, an adult weighing about 20-pound will need close to 700 calories intake per day. But your Beagle will need much more because he is more energetic and active. For instance, a very active young adult Beagle of about 25 pounds will need over 1100.
- Senior – Senior Beagles are somewhat less active due to their aging process. This means they will need less of calorie intake. An inactive Beagles will need about 533 calories per day.
Beagle Food Allergies And Food Related Health Issues
Beagles are usually active and energetic. Although they are less prone to common canine health challenges, there are certain health issues that may hinder their liveliness. These conditions must be considered when choosing a particular food for your pet.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) – This is a painful GI condition that often causes loss of appetite, lethargy, loose stools, unhealthy weight loss, chronic vomiting and low-grade fever in dogs. Like any other pooches, your Beagle may suffer from this condition. That is why it is important to always choose a formula that’s hypoallergenic and grain free. Also, fiber is an important inclusion in your pet’s diet. It helps to manage bowel movement as well as a guide against stomach disorder.
- Obesity – There is a need to stay on top of how much your Beagle consume every meal time. This dog breed tends to be glutinous and greedy. If given a free hand to eat on their own, there is every possibility to overeat and become obese. Therefore, an average sized Beagle should be fed about 2 to 3 times with small portions per day. Excess weight in this dog type often results in cancer, heart disease, and even arthritis.
- Hip Dysplasia – Most dog breeds are often genetically prone to Hip Dysplasia. Beagles are no exception. According to the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, Beagles are deemed to be number 55 out of 183 dogs found to be genetically inclined towards this condition. However, dog foods with a good amount of glucosamine and chondroitin will help prevent hip and joint problems of this nature.
Finally, Beagles are wonderful small breed dogs. They are very powerful and energetic. This breed is usually not the lazy type that sleeps around on your couches. But with this excitement and hyperactivity comes a great responsibility on your part.
There is a need to keep your pet happy and in good health. One of the ways to achieve that is by feeding him with a complete and balanced diet. We believe our guide and top recommended products in this article will go a long way in achieving optimum health for your canine friend.